Electric Choke disconnect

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

cg41425

Electric Choke disconnect

Post by cg41425 »

I should leave well enough alone BUT, i followed the instructions of John Muir and disarmed the choke. Now the problem. It idles great, however, after running at speed for any amount of time, then coming to a stop, the idle drops like a rock and the engine dies. If I can get my foot off the brake in time and tap the gas peddle, the idle will come back up and work fine until the next stop sign.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
couion

Post by couion »

Very common problem with these carbs. The only thing I have found that helps is to check and clean the idle jet and passages. Unfortuneatly this requires dismantling the carburator and using carb cleaner and some compressed air.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Which carb is it specifically?
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

your car will alomost always run better with the choke connected, theres less chance of failure, I think its worse to have the engine fail then to loose a few hp
A volksie thanks,
Max
cg41425

Choke Disconnect

Post by cg41425 »

I reconnected q/thing and kinda got the idle back. I think I have a bad heating element in the choke itself, cause it does not close the butterfly much at all. I pulled the choke adjustment instructions from Daves site... we shall see tomorrow what I can do. I appreciate all the help! Thanks, Doug