my pearl white '66

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
exprof

my pearl white '66

Post by exprof »

I really did buy my '66 from a little old lady! (O.K., maybe she wasn't so old; she was in her early sixties). She and I used the same garage, which is where I saw the car for the first time, sitting in a corner of the lot with a "for sale" sign on it. She wanted to sell the Bug because her husband thought she should get a bigger car (the old "bigger car, more protection" argument). She and her husband owned and operated a horse farm, so one of the first things I had to do after buying the car was to clean out all the feed corn, hay and alfalfa that had accumulated in it over the years.

That was back in '02, so I've owned the car for about six years now. I'm doing the restoration in fits and starts (to the vexation of my wife), but it should be done this summer if all goes well. It won't be a show winner, but that's because I believe that cars are meant to be driven. If it were perfect in every detail, I wouldn't want to take it out of the garage, and what fun would that be?

The short list of repairs:
new front axle beam
replacement of all brake lines and cylinders
horn repair
windshield washer system repair
dome light wiring repair
new upholstery
new running boards
replacement of sunroof cables
new heater channels, kickplate, floor pans and jacking points and miscellaneous body panels
replacement of the non-functioning "9-prong box" with an aftermarket flasher/relay kit
1600cc dual port engine

The car still has its 6-volt electrics.
Paint, replacement of headliner, carpet, door panels, hubcaps and front and rear bumpers will round out the restoration/preservation project. At some future point, I'd like to replace the 1600 with a 1641 or 1776.

I've always been particularly fond of '56-'67 US spec Bugs because I like the overrider bumpers. The first Bug I ever saw (a '63) as a kid had them, so they sort of define for me what the Bug ought to look like. It wasn't until after I bought the car that I learned about the characteristics that set the '66 apart from other year models. Once I learned what I had, it made me value the car all the more.
Attachments
IMG_0597a.JPG
IMG_0597a.JPG (20.8 KiB) Viewed 8932 times
Copy of IMG_0614.JPG
Copy of IMG_0614.JPG (49.66 KiB) Viewed 8931 times
Last edited by exprof on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Looking good! Do you plan on doing a 12v conversion on it?
exprof

Post by exprof »

fatalifeaten wrote:Looking good! Do you plan on doing a 12v conversion on it?
The wife wants me to, but I haven't decided yet. If I do, I'll want to fit a transaxle from a '67 to avoid any flywheel hassles, but that might make it a pricey proposition.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Eh. You can get stock rebuilts for not a whole lot (under 400 dollars with the core). If there's a VW shop in your area they can probably grind the bellhousing to fit a 12v flywheel as well. It's not too complicated. You can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.
exprof

RE: My 1966 VW Beetle

Post by exprof »

fatalifeaten wrote:Eh. You can get stock rebuilts for not a whole lot (under 400 dollars with the core). If there's a VW shop in your area they can probably grind the bellhousing to fit a 12v flywheel as well. It's not too complicated. You can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.
Thanks; I knew about the bellhousing grinding, and I know that it will work, but I want the "real stuff," if you know what I mean. If I do this (and I haven't made my mind up just yet), I want to get stuff that I know will work and work well, rather than going the stopgap route.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Really great story - this would be a great series to document under the restoration page as you continue your work! Good luck - it looks like your making great progress!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Make sure if you decide to go rebuilt that you use your stock '66 axles. They're shorter than the 1967 swingaxles. I've done this conversion and it's not too complicated. Just be prepared to be completely covered in grease and gear oil for a weekend your first time and have a little patience :) One of the cool advantages is that the 76 transmission housing is plumbed for reverse lights. You can find the bumper mount Hella's for a song, and have real working reverse lights! :)
exprof

Post by exprof »

fatalifeaten wrote: One of the cool advantages is that the 67 transmission housing is plumbed for reverse lights. You can find the bumper mount Hella's for a song, and have real working reverse lights! :)
That would be an advantage; I wouldn't have to use my four way flashers while backing, as I do now. :-P
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

:)

The wiring is very simple. Let me know if you decide to do it and I"ll put up a mini-howto. It takes 45 minutes tops.
piggy

My Beetle

Post by piggy »

I bought my 66 beetle back in October 08 and it has been in dry storage since whilst I save some money and have the time to fully restore her. I have since moved house which has taken up far too much of my time!

She is white and with a 1300 (currently blown engine). I already have a 1600 one to replace it with and then re-build original engine if repairable.
The car is original with a few body repairs already done by previous owners. I am planning on making the car a cal look/cal resto (not decided yet) and am un-sure whether to keep the original colour but will see what is underneath the paintwork first. This car is my first VW but have been keen on buying a original Beetle for years. I wasn't necessarily looking for a 66 car but love the one I have.
Attachments
d088_0.jpg
d088_0.jpg (2.04 KiB) Viewed 7689 times