master cylinder

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

barnbug

master cylinder

Post by barnbug »

just got a new single-circuit to replace the one that is coverd with 20yrs of barn crude, this is the first in a long line of replacements. Do i use the push rod from the old, the new did not come with one. Please help
SeeBlauKafer

Re: master cylinder

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

barnbug wrote:just got a new single-circuit to replace the one that is coverd with 20yrs of barn crude, this is the first in a long line of replacements. Do i use the push rod from the old, the new did not come with one. Please help
You mean the push rod from the back of the brake pedal? Yes I always reuse mine and have never had to replace one.

Here's a tip, please do not alter the adjustment of the pushrod as that is dialed in at the factory.

Cheers!
'66 Type I
fatalifeaten

Re: master cylinder

Post by fatalifeaten »

SeeBlauKafer wrote: Here's a tip, please do not alter the adjustment of the pushrod as that is dialed in at the factory.

Cheers!
An emphatic x2 on this one. If the pushrod is incorrectly adjusted it can lead to insufficient braking, or premature master failure. If you've already fiddled with it, I believe the Bentley shop manual has the correct setting in mm of the pushrod adjustment.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Dont forget to prime /bleed the master before you install.This way it will take less time to bleed the system.Make sure sure you really clean the adjuster rod threads real well for easy adjustment.
volksbugusa
matt
barnbug

Post by barnbug »

thanks for the help, i have not touched the pushrod, cause it is rusty and it will not move. so ithink i will leave it alone.
bill hauck

master cylinder

Post by bill hauck »

I couldn't agree more. I tried to monkey around with the push rod for the brake pedal on my '73 and spent HOURS and HOURS trying to get it readjusted in the meantime burning up brake shoes X 4!!
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

barnbug
come on now!! freeing up the adjuster is no big deal!! HEAT will spread out the metal . SO once set in the vise and you apply heat turn the set nut and now turn the casting adjuster... only heat the rod....use map gas....it will move,and should move.It is bad to put this adjuster back in it's current state, When working on your car always look at things from this point of view,if it was designed as is then there had to be a reason.The new master will have a different seat to the rod which will have to be adjusted which is no big deal.just read the manual... if you are worried about it then send me your email and i will restore it for you.
volksbugusa
matt
mdazzo@optonline.net