New Wiring Harness

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

BarneyBoy

New Wiring Harness

Post by BarneyBoy »

Hi Everyone:
Any recommendations on where to purchase a new complete wiring harness for a 1966 Beetle?? Mine is a 12 volt system already and I need to replace the entire wiring harness. From what I've seen, they sure vary in price and claims. Thanks! Barney Boy :D
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Unfortunately the best places are Wolfsburg and BFI, if they dont offer a 12 volt system, you could run a 6 volt, the only difference is that 6volt is larger wires, so they disspers heat better, they can also hold more amps, but it really doesnt make much difference unless your running huge amp draing systems
A volksie thanks,
Max
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

My vote would be for Wolfsbugwest as well.
BarneyBoy

Wiring Harness

Post by BarneyBoy »

jmartini wrote:My vote would be for Wolfsbugwest as well.
Thanks! Ordered complete harness for $234 from Wolfsburg West. It was competitively priced and I have been pleased with their quality on past purchases. We'll see how it works out. I wish I wasn't color blind--Let's see...is that red, no green..no purple....oops---smokin!!! Has any one else installed a harness?? I think just taking one's time might be the best advice??? I'm going to double check everything against a diagram, too. The fire extinquisher will be on standby!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi BarneyBoy: There's an exploded view of the wiring on the main site which may be some help. Good luck on the wiring - I think it will be pretty straight forward. A fire extinguisher is always a good idea regardless!
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

My vote, guess and check, if it smokes switch it, if that doesnt work, cover where the smokes coming out with duct tape, no actually, lets be safe, electrical tape :D
A volksie thanks,
Max
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

the ones I installed were numbered which came with a cheat sheet so you know which number goes where!problem with after 7,8,9.------17 beers I got lost and don't forget where you put the cheat sheet :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife