Headlight: high/low beam switch

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:P Well damn they were probably not to far apart in the same lot! :lol: I live in the country sorta,and the wife won't let me cuz I,ll scare her animals away. :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Buggin Again

Post by Buggin Again »

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I have 2 1966 Canadian Standards and both of them have the headlamp dimmer mounted on the floor. I think this may have been more common in the canadian cars as they were usually build out of the leftovers
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome to the forum Buggin Again! Interesting about the dimmer switch on the floor, I think that was the case with the European models as well. Glad to have you as a member!
DUB10W

Post by DUB10W »

i noe its an old topic but my 66 has a dimmer on the floor next to the clutch. my beetle (im certain) was australian delivered V# 196871386.

Regards Ewan
The Grounds' The Limit
VeeDubCoyote

Post by VeeDubCoyote »

I don't meant to thread-bump :oops:, but where near the shifter is the replaced dimmer? I'm still a newb and actually didn't even know I was supposed to have a dimmer!! On my signal arm I don't have a button on the back... that's why I ask! Thanks guys! :D
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Typically in 66 it was on the very back of the turn signal lever. It sounds like the EU models may have had a floor mounted dimmer.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Buggin Again wrote:I have 2 1966 Canadian Standards and both of them have the headlamp dimmer mounted on the floor.
Bingo! We can't assume everone has a U.S. spec '66. There were Canadian customs and various models around the world. The 1200 model was still sold simultaneously with the 1300 in Europe. The Australian '66 was identical to a '64 model.

VWPOMO1, does your car have the four-way flasher on the dash? If not, it's not a U.S.-spec Deluxe Sedan.
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

G'day mates. My 66 was built in Australia and has the dimmer switch on the floor. As you say, different specs for differnt specs countries. Richard
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Other than replacing the whole turn signal switch, are the high/low beam switches that goes on turn signal arm available to anyone's knowledge? I need one but coming up empty handed.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Not that I am aware of, I thnk you will need to replace the entire unit.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 141953517F
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

I've been looking for one in grey. We have one in grey right now, just no
high beam switch on it. All I find is black with the button. I think I might see
if I can find a used switch assembly with the switch and see if I can
transplant on to our grey one. It would look much better.