Need help determiming if this engine is original to our 66

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

BB66Bug

Need help determiming if this engine is original to our 66

Post by BB66Bug »

We bought a 1966 VW bug a couple of weeks ago and we are trying to determine if this is the original motor? The VIN number of the bug is 116480529 and the engine number is 8960822. It does not start with a letter so we don't know if this is the original motor or an older one? The engine is single carb, has an oil bath air cleaner, the car is still 6 volt, it does not have a vacuum advance on the distributor.
Thanks,
Tom and Judi
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Tom and Judi: Typically the 66 engine numbers started with an F right before the number. The only way to really verify if you have the original engine (even if it has an F) is by getting the Beetle Birth Certificate from Wolfsbug. There is a section on the forum where you can see what they look like and click on the link to order one.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I havent heard of the 66 coming with an unlettered engine, an easy way to tell is if the fuel pump, carbuaretor and generator stand (if they have the little vw sign on them somewhere, also many say made in germany) most of the time when an eninge is replaced those items are replaced, just my 2 cents
A volksie thanks,
Max
couion

Post by couion »

I was told by an old VW Dealership mechanic that when an engine was replaced the new engine did not come with any numbers on them. They would have stamps that they would use to stamp the old number into the new case. Sometimes these numbers would not get stamped or maybe stamped wrong. Its possible it may have been replaced and not stamped properly. My 2 cents,maybe
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

That sounds about right, you really cant tell if a welly done motor swap has happened, unless you really tear into it
A volksie thanks,
Max
Oregonslugbug

engine block #

Post by Oregonslugbug »

I now have this Bug BB66bug used to own, the block number does not have a letter. all it has is 8960822. :?
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

That case would have been kicked out of the factory between Aug and Sep of 1964, and at that point would have been for a 1965 model. Whether the guts are original at this point is anyone's guess. Would have been a 40 horse.

FWIW, in 1966, Engine numbers beginning with an F would have been 1300's, but 1200 models would have been D stamped. Both were produced, with the majority of the 1300's coming stateside.
Oregonslugbug

engine block#

Post by Oregonslugbug »

I found the VW stamp below the jugs 113.101.101 40 H and 113.101.102 40 H so I am guessing the engine is a bast*rd block from 1965 vw plant.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The easy way to tell if it's a 1200 or 1300 is to check where the intake manifold attaches to the heads. If the pipe is vertical it's a 1200 40hp. If the intake attaches at an angle, it's a 1300 or later engine.