6v to 12v

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

elkluvadore

6v to 12v

Post by elkluvadore »

Im making my car into a daily driver, and im going to convert it over to 12v, will the hazard blinker(inside) and the dreaded blue box be allright if I run 12 volts through them,
Last edited by elkluvadore on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A volksie thanks,
Max
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

dont forget the following
-must change the flywheel
-must change the starter bushing in transmission housing
-must install a 12 volt starter
-must grind a little metal to allow clearance for the 12 volts flywheel
-must convert wiper motor
-and flasher,bulbs 12 pin box....all must be changed to handle the 12 volts...
daily driver you need a 1600...nothing smaller...
matt
volksbugusa

cheers
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I was going to go with the 1600 if gas mileage stays around the same, if it doesnt im going with the 1500, I believe Im going to order the 12volt conversion from Wolfsburg does anyone make a good looking 12 volt blinker box
A volksie thanks,
Max
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Wow Max ... that 6V blinker box is a rare commodity if it's in good working condition. You ought to offer it for sale if you go 12V.

Wolfsburg West and others all seem to have that standard black 12V blinker box. The old 6V blue one is neat though.
'66 Type I
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Is the blue blinker or the metal blinker box stock????
A volksie thanks,
Max
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I request a truly truthful answer, for a daily driver should i convert it to 6 volt, or is the difference not the big???
A volksie thanks,
Max
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I like my 6volt system,the only advantages I can tell personally that i wouldn't mind having is faster wipers,brighter lights and a good radio [glovebox] other then that NO I like her like she is.It's all in the maintence!If you decide to convert to 12v.use your 6volt starter and flywheel then you won't have to flycut the clutch housing [bell] It will spin alot faster but it won't hurt it at all.as far as engine size I have a 40horse in my trike that is converted to 12 volt which i've been running for better than 15years and still on the original6volt starter and swing axle. When the body falls off they just move on,just like rein[car]nation. :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

sweet, a mechanic in my area said that the starter would be fine, and if i leave it I would save a bunch of moola and time.
A volksie thanks,
Max
inventor401

Regulator?

Post by inventor401 »

Dont you have to put a 12 volt regulator in it as well? If so i did but now my regulator is putting to much juice back into the battery like 17 volts worth and in a weeks time of driving it my car is dead and has to be recharged.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

yes you need a 12v regulator
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
inventor401

Post by inventor401 »

for some reason when i looked at the 12v regulator there is one wire that i cant hookup its a green generator control field something or other. So when i test the battery when the car is off it should be at like 12 right and when i rev it it should be at 13.8 or 14 if its doing what it should be. Does that sound right? I have been trying to get this thing running forever but after a weeks worth of driving it it dies out for some reason then i have to recharge the battery. I dont want to sound to personal but if i could have a long talk with someone here i would love it my car and i have been going through quite a lot this past summer and it needs a little more experts advice than what i can give it. So any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Yes You should show between 13 to 14.5 volts when you rev it up if your gen and reg is working. If you are showing a pos charge on your meter your gen is polarized in the right direction. If your battery is still discharging check your connections and make sure you don't have a short somewhere drawing juice from your battery. easy way to check is to remove the neg cable from the battery and see if it archs if it does then you have took go to the fuse box ans remove one at a time until you find the circuit where the short is.Check your battery I've return 3 already this summer that were just bad.
exprof

Post by exprof »

Here's a link to a 12v flasher/relay kit that will substitute for the "9 prong box:"

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail. ... oduct=2942
bill hauck

6v to 12v

Post by bill hauck »

I bought that airheads flasher unit for my 66 and it worked great!! easy to install. I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with the original one.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

You can also run the 6v wiper motor if you put a step down on it. If you decide to just let it ride, It will run at 12v for a little while before the magic smoke comes out of it. :)