Every vw should have a top end oiler

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

volksbugusa

Every vw should have a top end oiler

Post by volksbugusa »

Every vw out there should install one of these units .Keep that top end lubed with marvel mystery oil...

Ampco-VW top cylinder oiler kit Price: $89
Ampco VW top cylinder oiler kit for all air-cooled VWs. Protect your hot running engine from modern dry unleaded/ethanol gasoline or CNG fuels! Use of this kit allows a mist of oil vapor to enter the air/fuel mixture by manifold vacuum to lubricate valve stems, guides, and especially seats, as well as rings and cylinder bores. Your engine will run cooler, quieter, and last thousands of extras miles before it requires a valve job! Valve seat recession can kill your engine, and this will prevent it. Kit includes all mounting hardware, carb injector plate, new gaskets, nuts and longer carb studs. Nozzle can also be T'd into the PCV hose on later engines. These oilers are effective , and look vintage as well! NOS, made in USA. Recommended lubricant is Marvel Mystery oil. See www.ampcolubes.com.

ask for
George Folchi
860-355-5706

matt
volksbugusa
Attachments
jsip_DSC01494.jpg
jsip_DSC01494.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 9055 times
Last edited by volksbugusa on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

sweet, once i get mine almost all done, im gonna get me one of them
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

it's better then adding mmo to the gas. You are able to dial in the amount
being sprayed into the manifold.very cool.
Cheers
Matt
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

elkluvadore
what are you doing to your motor?
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

im trying to do a complete restoration on my bug, well as complete as i can afford, on the engine im going to either pull it and send it out to be bored if possible/ or im gonna replace cylinders and pistons, nothin big really, depending on price though i might just send in for a fully rebuilt one, and slowly build mine, too many pathways right now, the poor car has 213000 miles on it, i recon its time to redo it
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

well if your case is stamped F and you are going on your first line bore
then it is worth the time. Then again it REALLY depends on who is doing the machine work. All I can suggest to you is to replace the cylinders with stock 85.5 which will slip in. Do not waste your time with 77 no one is going to know and you will get more horsepower and keep everything at single port,,,But a case with that many miles if it is original I would completely rebuild the bottom end. You can also go with a brand new short block 1600 purchase the motor from steelbuggin--ask for Hannibal and still keep everything single port...rebuild your heads send them to Hannibal
for a trouble free transaction
Cheers
matt
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

i think depending on what it looks like on the inside im gonna send it to the engine shop near my home town, i believe i will also order one in, but keep my original and pay the core charge, do you think i should redo the transaxle too??
A volksie thanks,
Max
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

max
most engine machine shops can not work on vw cases...hope yours does... are you going to split the case and take a look at the bearing saddles? For a shop to do this work it is going to cost you a lot of money. why double spend your money.Strip the case and then give it to your machine shop for inspection.Keep your fingers crossed that the saddles are not that beat up if you like send me a picture and I can tell you.But most of the time if the saddles have dark bands then you need a line bore.If this would be the first cut off of standard/standard then you are ok...if this is going to be the 2nd cut on the saddles then I would pass and would put the motor aside and install a new 1600 dual port..
as far as the tranny if you have the money save your old tranny and also install new ONLY if it has not already been rebuilt.
Matt
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I'll keep all this in mind, I'm not going to pull the engine for a while, but i think I'll take your advise, you seem pretty knowledgeable about the subject, thanks for the advice. :)
A volksie thanks,
Max
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

max
anytime...i know a little not a lot...but been there done that...
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Matt,
I appreciate you sharing the knowledge, saving me a lot of work, like i said its appreciated
A volksie thanks,
Max