RUNNING BOARD COLOR

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

elkluvadore

RUNNING BOARD COLOR

Post by elkluvadore »

I have a bahama blue vw beetle with a steel sunroof, it has the black leathrette interior, 2 sites are telling me 2 different things on the running board color, one says black, and one says alpine blue, which one is it???
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

That is a really good question - I've seen different colored running boards but in all the books that I have on specifications for the model years I can not find one mention of colored running boards...not even as an option. My Sea Blue Beetle has the original running boards still on her and they are black. I see BFY offers the colored mats that go over the standard running boards so perhaps it was an aftermarket option. Someone on the board will probably know the answer for sure.......
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

It was my understanding that '65 on was Black no matter what the colour car, upto '64 the running boards were colour coded as was the wing beading. Of course with some VW paint colours overlapping the time period, I guess there was possibly plenty of left over stock of coloured beading and running board mats?

Alex.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Thanks for the help, all i need to figure out is if i want to go orignal black or go with the alpine blue, ideas anyone???
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I vote for black!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

I say black too, but to give you an idea here is my best mates '64 running the mats and wing beading!

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Sweet Alex!
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

nice ride, i think ill go with the black boards, thanks for the help, nice picture too, next quick question, blue fender beading or aftermarket black
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

If you can find the matching fender beading I would get it. My Sea Blue beetle has matching Sea Blue beading and I think it looks great. If you can't find any that matches then black would is fine and what most people use.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

hey, im lookin at the picture its sweet, the fenders are sweet :o
Last edited by elkluvadore on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

elkluvadore wrote:hey, im lookin at the picture its sweet, the fenders are frenched in, sweet :o
The fenders are NOT frenched in!!!! They simply run the Bahama Blue wing beading as per stock VW.

Here in the UK, if dealers did'nt have the coloured beading in stock then they would paint the beading to match.

I would run beading the same colour as the running board mats myself.

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Just out of curiousity Alex, how long would the paint stay on the fender beading when painted? If it lasts it could be a good option for those that can't find matching fender beading.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

The dealers mixed the paint with a product that allows the paint to flex a little (can't remeber the damn name at the moment!) It works in the same way that they have to mix on modern cars with plastic bumpers to prevent the paint cracking because of plastics flexability. The paint on the '64 above was done over 3 years ago and shows no signs of flaking etc. I think I would just buy the repro rubber mats - I would'nt trust the paint to last on them?

I am sure most paint suppliers would be able to cope with supplying the correct product for the beading etc.

This shows it better?

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It looks great!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Soon as I get mine painted back to L360 Sea Blue I will be using the Sea Blue colored fender beading (wing beading).

I thought about using blue running boards too but I like the black ones better.
'66 Type I