This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
bill hauck

Post by bill hauck »

New memeber. I have a 66 Java Green Beetle I bought last September as a project.

I also have a 73 Super that I bought brand new in 1973 and a 59 single cab that I bought in 20005

I bought the 66 as a winter project and have spent the last couple of months getting it ready for painting. It was in ok shape when I got it and I have replaced all the brake components and had to prepair a coupe of rust spots. I have some questions . The car has later model door handles inside. It looks like original paint on the door insides. Did some 66s have 67 style doors??

Car was converted (before I got it ) to a 12v system and the low back seats were replaced with later seats.

I have age appropriate seats and plan on restoring the car to as near as stock as I can, with the exception of the motor.

This is the third resto for me and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, in spite of the "frustrations" that can occur.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Bill! Great to have you as a member, and a quite ambitious member I might add :)

I'm sure that the door shells of the 67 would work with the 66, so perhaps they got swapped out at some point during the life of the car. I am guessing you have the flat door handle that was introduced in August of 66 which is really the 67 model (It's flat with a small finger you pull out to open the door). I'm not sure you can use those doors with the old style handle but I may be wrong since I'm not sure how it is rigged, but someone else may know. Now lets assume for a minute that you could interchange the handles, then that would explain the original color on the inside door panels.

Good luck with your winter project - and make sure you post some pictures!