Whitewall inserts - any good?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Grahame - I moved the post over to mechanical/technical. Sorry - I don't have any experience with the whitewall inserts but someone should be able to help. Thanks. John
larryho

White wall inserts

Post by larryho »

Cheaper version of the real thing. You should put tubes in your tires when you want to fix inserts- safer to prevent air escaping from the tires. It should last for a year and the rubber may not stay as flexible to cling on to the tires after this. From a distant the inserts looks great but view it near its another matter. My first set had cracks at the edges after 6 months (maybe my driving, maybe the quality of the inserts etc etc) and the ones I have now is my second set.
If the inserts could last as long as the tires then its worth it as they could be used again, but I really don't know based on my experience.
My Coker white wall will arrive next week and there will be friends around me who just want my inserts. So the final choice is up to the individual. Hope the above helps.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

I know they tend to discolour quick, but so do the OG whitewalls if they are not looked after. I would be more worried about the tendancy they have to cut into the sidewall of the tyre if the pressures are not even/under inflated.

Alex.
Stockholm VW

Re: Whitewall inserts - any good?

Post by Stockholm VW »

I’ve had them in two of my past cars in the early 80s. They look great from 6 feet if done right. I loved the look for the price. I drove on cheap used tires and every tire was a different brand.😂 Portawalls were great!
You cannot curb then though. It’ll destroy them.