Pops out of 2nd

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

November

Pops out of 2nd

Post by November »

"Beep! Beep!"
Hello All,

My brother-in-law's '66 pops out of 2nd upon coming to a stop. Having driven the car for 10 years, he's adjusted his driving habits and drives right through it. When I took her for a spin, she died every time I came to a stop. We've surmised this is a transmission problem. Is this something that can be repaired, or is it likely that a new transmission will need to be installed?

I'm showing the car for my BIL and want to reduce our original asking price to allow for this repair. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure? She's in "good" condition otherwise.

By-the-by, do you find the value of VW's are holding steady in view of our current economy?

Much appreciation,
November
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi - I had the same problem a few bugs ago and the tranny had to be rebuilt. I believe it cost me about $800.00, however I'm just guessing that it is the same problem. Good luck! John
November

Tranny Rebuild - VW Value

Post by November »

Hello,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I'll be prepared to lower the price $800 - $1,000, what I surmised. One thing I'm disappointed to see is people setting their prices far under NADA suggested values - even daily drivers. They are, after all classics and if restored greatly valued.

Much appreciation,
November

47 degrees today with chance of snow on Friday.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yes, that is sad to see. I have seen a modest increase in the asking price of the 66 model over the last five years, for those that are in really fine shape. Also, depending on where you are located has a bearing on what people will pay. For instance a mint 66 in Wisconsin is going to cost more than one in California (that's been my observation anyway). On the other hand the project car prices (for those willing to tackle the work) have stayed pretty flat while I'm sure the cost to restore them has risen.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The bushings in your shifting link might br bad or worn not allowing the trans to fully engage. easy to check under rear seat,two screws wala there they is,life should be so simple?
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife