new from keizer oregon

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
rcoaks

new from keizer oregon

Post by rcoaks »

I owned my first 66 in high school it was an oxodized orange baha. i loved that bug although i abused th heck out of it. i rebuilt the moter twice before i got it stuck in a four foot deep gravel pit full of water and blew the moter the third time. at this point i owned that bug for four years. i joined the marine corps and was stationed at camp pendelton ca. two years later my grandpa became a snowbird and spent every winter in nyland ca. he had dune buggies and one winter he bought a new one in california so he wasn't towing his down. i called him and ask him to bring mine and he did so i replaced the moter with a 1300 dual port. this moter could go through anything. for one thing i was a young kid and didn't know better than to lug these air cooled moters out. then grandpa explained i could put that baby on the floor in first and never let off and it wouldn't do as much harm as lugging it up a hill in fourth. now ive owned this bug for eight years and drove it daily for six all the while running it in the dunes every weekend for the last two years. then i got rid of it. :( i bought a four wheel drive and went on with my life or so it would seem. two years and four trucks later. i bought a nice streight 66 bug for $650 this was in 1992. i drove this bug as a daily driver untill 1998. then i parked it in the garage, running perfactly i might add, and decided to take it apart to restore it. wow its 2007 and ive got $3000 worth of parts in my garage and just pulled the body off last weekend. i hope i remember how to put this thing back together. i actuly drove it down the road last month for the last time a month ago without any interior, windows, or fenders. i couldn't resist. my only problem now is i'm very visual and i can't find anything with pictures showing me how to replace those rusty pan halves. i find plenty of literature but no pictures to go with it. since i am a perfectionist i find my self at a stand still untill i am sure i know what i am doing. i need help here i am a single father and gave this car to my daughter when she was ten. she is now fifteen and has five months untill her sixteenth birthday which meens i can't afford to be at a standstill at this point. i am so glad i found this sight mabie one of you could help me out. eather with pics of yours or some books that you know of i can purchase. thank you
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi rcoaks and welcome to the Forum! Scruffy did a complete restoration and has some pictures posted out in the photo gallery. There are some great books through Amazon.com about doing all the work you are describing - that's probably where I would start, and I think you may be able to find some videos on how to do it as well. Great Story - and good luck with the restoration.
BB66Bug

Post by BB66Bug »

How is your restoration coming? We live in Southern Oregon and just bought a 66 bug a couple of weeks ago. Let us know if you have any parts you want to sell!!
Best of Luck,
Tom and Judi