electrical dilemas

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

chrissie

electrical dilemas

Post by chrissie »

:) hi all!

im still having problems with bhumblebee. i had the mechanic install a alternator last month and up to know its stil not working perfectly. just two days ago it was raining hard, he wouldn't start. i thought his rotor or his distribution cap must be moist that's why he wouldn't start. i waited one day finally sunshine. he started, i drove 5 blocks the power lamp went on, he's not charging :( back to the mechanics shop.

oh my! i just love him so much so i don't want to sell him but he's really expensive to keep this days. i wish john or scruffy and any one of you techinically blessed guys can take a look at him. i'm starting to doubt my mechanic! but it's really hard to find a vw mechanic here so i'd have to put up with him.

hope you guys are enjoying your vdubs! almost thanksgiving!
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Chrissie
Don't sell your car...it is an easy fix...in order for your car to turn over you need a working starter,a battery that can hold a charge and an
alternator to feed the battery,the one point you are not explaining,when you say the car wont start,do you mean it will not turn over dead silence?If the car is turning over then I need to answer your problem in a different light.

Lets start with no starting dead silence...if the battery is stone dead all the time then it can only be one of three problems...
alternator is not charging the battery at least 13-14 amps when running-
(why) maybe a bad regulator!!!the regulator is located on the alertnator or if not the new type of alternator then under the back seat or sometimes under rear passenger fender not the best spot. you need to have your mech check this out.If the alternator is not putting out 13-14 amps
then your regulator is bad,, the next thing to do is replace the battery cables and super clean the ground wire,and all contacts on the starter. Then next thing to check is the starter
pull it out and have it tested or just replace if you are not sure.The last area to check is the starter switch,,yep that can be a problem...
Please let me know in detail what has aleady been done...
matt
volksbugusa
Last edited by volksbugusa on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

All good advice Matt - I have nothing to add - Good luck Chrissie, stick with it, these are not big problems and certainly not worth selling the car over, you should be able to get them squared away and be trouble free.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

You say altenator,so I assume he! has been converted over to 12 volts,Matt is right about the approx. voltage.If a12 volt genny was used as us 6 volt people have experienced,the generator just maintains your battery voltage like the bicycle gen you had on your headlight. but I,m betting on a bad regulator. If she's a jenny maybe not polarized. I read you post again, check your connections from the starter to the ignition switch,but mainly the starter to the coil then to dist. and see that there all clean and secure. Good luck and Have a Thanksgiving
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
chrissie

thank you

Post by chrissie »

thank you guys! i did send take him back to the mechanic. he did replace high tension wires, rotor cap,the starter and a couple of things on the laternator. he's finally working. i'm saving up so i can have all the rubbers replaced and stripped to metal. hopefully i can have that done summer here next year. It's almost Christmas guys...happy riding!