license plate light and front parking lights

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

mealso

license plate light and front parking lights

Post by mealso »

Hello everyone, I just purchase a 66 recently and the license plate light was not hooked up. I ran a wire from the light to the connector and the light works fine. My question is how is the wire routed from the right side of the engine compartment to the license plate light connector. I want to make sure i route it right so as to keep it away from moving parts and hot parts too.

Also, can the parking lights located in the headlight housing be configured to function as turn signals? My car has had the fender turn signals removed but i would like to have funtioning front turn signals.

Thanks in advance.

me
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome to the forum Mealso!

My wire runs down the back side of the hood and goes in behind the rear cowel and then back behind the fan housing. I have attached a picture from the '66 I sold a few years ago that will give you the general idea.

I'm not sure I'd try the parking lights as turnsignals - I'm not sure anyone would see them, but it could probably be done. Probably be safer to just re-install the stock turnsignals.
Attachments
engine.jpg
(778.71 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
mealso

Post by mealso »

Thank you for the help John. How is Pleasant Prairie these days? I lived in Kenosha for a couple years and love the area.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Well as you might imagine - the nights are already getting cooler so I know winter is on the way. Pleasant Prairie seems to be one of the fast growing areas in Wisconsin (as well as Sun Prairie). We are transplants from the Madison area having moved here in 2000. Where do you live now?
mealso

Post by mealso »

Oceanside, CA now. I was stationed at Great Lakes, IL and chose to live in WI.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

You couldn't pick a better place to have a VW! Wish I was there!
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

If it has the holes for the turnsignal stick them back in, another cool thing ive seen, where the fender vents are in the front fender, if you mount a round orange trailer light behind it with the grille still in, then hook in the turn signal wires, when they illuminate it will be noticeacible but not overwhellming, it will also give it a sweet look. depending on how fancy you want to do it you can change the grille, i have seen people do a set of vw circle logos in there, these all look cool
A volksie thanks,
Max