Throttle Control and Air Filter Connection

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Beetle1941

Throttle Control and Air Filter Connection

Post by Beetle1941 »

When it is cold and I start my beetle the choke control or whatever it is called flips over to where the round side is showing and the thing idles very fast.

There appears to be a place for a hose connection on the air filter and I am not certain where a hose would go.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Attachments
0109231355.jpg
0109231355.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 33995 times
0109231356.jpg
0109231356.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 33995 times
Java Green

Re: Throttle Control and Air Filter Connection

Post by Java Green »

This Samba thread, although on a slightly different topic, will show the two locations used on the '66. First is straight down to through the tin to another connection piece (you need this to do it correctly, not hard to find at a swap meet) that brings air up from the 3-4 cylinder side. The other is like mine which curls around to slightly behind the fan shroud and goes through the tin to a heaterbox connection. If that connection, which you'll see in the b/w photo, is not there then you will have to use the hose-to-cylinder style set up.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ?p=7180500
The two different methods of preheat hookup is determined by what month the engine was made. An engineers prerogative or apparent whim if you will.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

https://www.1966vwbeetle.com/images/1300%20Engine.JPG

The above link will take you to a picture of mines as well.
Java Green

Post by Java Green »

That's an excellent photo Jm. I have to give credit to this forum for the information about the two preheat locations possible on a '66 and why. So many puzzles, right? In my case, the 'Why' of my preheat hose location was the mystery. All other photos showed it to be as is in your photo, which made me suspicious as to what motor was really in the car; although the ID number began with the correct -"F" letter. Anyway, a properly worded Google search included this site as having information and it was one of those small gold strikes one can get.
Also, I'm envious of your correct year air cleaner. Mine remains what came with the car; a 40hp style. Not the only item on the car that comes from an earlier year. One more thing to be corrected down the line. There is a list.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Java Green, I just got lucky that this car was so original when I purchased it. However, that being said the six volt system is not the greatest thing in the world, but I don't see myself changing it.
Java Green

Post by Java Green »

I still feel lucky this car was as original as it was too. It's a curious mix here and there, but I reckon (generously perhaps) 98% OG. I'd have been fine with the 6v system and preferred it just for staying true to the year TBH and, no small consideration, time and money spent in the conversion. But the infamous relay box was suspected to be bad, then, early on I was gifted a Bosch rebuilt 12v generator, so why swim upstream? The diagnosis was proved right when the 12v relay was hooked up, and Huzzah!, everything blinked and glowed as it should. Major victory.
Appreciate your work with the website Jm. Thanks for the replies.
J.Green