New '66 owner in PA

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

There's no doubt it is European, some of the other stuff like door handles were probably put on both models (All of my 66's had the square push buttons) depending on what was available. As SeaBlauKafer mentioned the Stamp in the trunk is the real indicator. Good luck with the tear down!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Ahh excellent! "Rubin 456". Looking more "Euro" every minute. Here's another thing to mention. The European locking (column mounted) ignition switch was notoriously faulty. Plenty of folks removed them and replaced them with the dash mounted ignition switch. So don't let the absence of the locking unit bother you.

If you want to see what the locking ignition unit looks like, Wolfsburg West has them (part# 111 905 851B). It's not 100% exact but it's really, really close.

Have fun shining her up and resolving more mysteries.

I remember well the day I brought mine home. After replacing the fuel lines and filter, and topping off the oil, I plugged in a new battery and drove it 12 miles to my house. I spent the whole day cleaning, buffing, shining it up. I couldn't wait to get home from work each day to clean or fix something new on the car.
'66 Type I
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

From all of the '66's I have seen here in Europe, they all have the dash mounted ignition, also they should have the round push button door handles, I would guess only a very very very late 66 model may have the 'new' column ignition and square button handle? In Europe the '67 bugs retained the sloping wings (with 12v electrics in the 1300 and 1500) until '68 where as in the states you guys had upright wings and 12v from '67 onwards?

Alex.
grover89

Thanks

Post by grover89 »

Thanks to all of you guys for all of your help on this issue and the compliments on the find. I'm actually leaving on Monday and will be in Amberg Germany for six weeks. I'm hoping that in my time off from not working I will get a chance to maybe find some things for my car. Alex I see you yourself are in Germany.....any suggestions as to where I may want to look :?:
crazydaze

Re: Thanks

Post by crazydaze »

grover89 wrote:Thanks to all of you guys for all of your help on this issue and the compliments on the find. I'm actually leaving on Monday and will be in Amberg Germany for six weeks. I'm hoping that in my time off from not working I will get a chance to maybe find some things for my car. Alex I see you yourself are in Germany.....any suggestions as to where I may want to look :?:
Sorry but I'm in England :lol: and I have no idea what shows are on in Germany over the next few weeks, try posting in the international forum on www.thesamba.com someone is sure to be able to help you there, have a great trip!

Alex.
grover89

Post by grover89 »

:lol: you know i realized that after sending it off that you were in the U.K. but thanks for the info anyway, sorry about the mix up :lol:
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

If you can get that far up North try for Automuseum Wolfsburg! They have vintage parts for sale there too (or at least they did in 1999).

If you're going to remain close to Amberg try Nurnberg or Regensburg which are nice tourist attractions. They are also nice for VW related toy shopping! Look for German antique stores too!

Have fun over there.
'66 Type I
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It's my dream to make it to Wolfsburg someday - I'd take that opportunity for sure!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

>From all of the '66's I have seen here in Europe, they all have the dash mounted ignition, also they should have the round push button door handles, I would guess only a very very very late 66 model may have the 'new' column ignition and square button handle? In Europe the '67 bugs retained the sloping wings (with 12v electrics in the 1300 and 1500) until '68 where as in the states you guys had upright wings and 12v from '67 onwards?<

Hi Alex,

I just realized I wrote what in journalism is called a "glittering generality" when I referred to "Euro" models as one size fits all. :oops: You're exactly right, the "UK Export" models are verrrrry different from the German market or the US Export models ... as you all have right-hand drive with special pedal clusters, etc. Please forgive the "American Fixation" I was experiencing. You have attended VW shows all over Europe so I'm sure you've seen your fair share of '66 models exported to many different countries.

Now then to reply to your thoughts:
- My locking ignition could be just for the German market, or could have been for later '66 models. I did not see it listed as purchased option on the original bill of sale however. I say perhaps for the German market because it has markings for "Start", "Fahrt" and "Garage" - Fahren/Fahrt being the German verb "To Drive".

- Regarding square vs round push-button door handles. Again maybe a predominantly German thing? I keep seeing the square ones listed in catalogs as '65 and earlier and I keep seeing the round ones listed as either '67 only or '66 - '67 only. Mine square ones are likely original to my car as I have the original keys and they fit the handle locks. Maybe in '66 Wolfsburg wanted to use up some surplus '65 door handles until they used them up? Maybe they just did this to annoy enthusiasts decades later ... :D

- You are correct about the upright wings (fenders) being fitted to American models from '67 forward. Too bad really, as the sloping ones give a more pleasing appearance in my opinion.

Nice chatting with you all.
'66 Type I
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

SeeBlauKafer wrote:>From all of the '66's I have seen here in Europe, they all have the dash mounted ignition, also they should have the round push button door handles, I would guess only a very very very late 66 model may have the 'new' column ignition and square button handle? In Europe the '67 bugs retained the sloping wings (with 12v electrics in the 1300 and 1500) until '68 where as in the states you guys had upright wings and 12v from '67 onwards?<

Hi Alex,

I just realized I wrote what in journalism is called a "glittering generality" when I referred to "Euro" models as one size fits all. :oops: You're exactly right, the "UK Export" models are verrrrry different from the German market or the US Export models ... as you all have right-hand drive with special pedal clusters, etc. Please forgive the "American Fixation" I was experiencing. You have attended VW shows all over Europe so I'm sure you've seen your fair share of '66 models exported to many different countries.

Now then to reply to your thoughts:
- My locking ignition could be just for the German market, or could have been for later '66 models. I did not see it listed as purchased option on the original bill of sale however. I say perhaps for the German market because it has markings for "Start", "Fahrt" and "Garage" - Fahren/Fahrt being the German verb "To Drive".

- Regarding square vs round push-button door handles. Again maybe a predominantly German thing? I keep seeing the square ones listed in catalogs as '65 and earlier and I keep seeing the round ones listed as either '67 only or '66 - '67 only. Mine square ones are likely original to my car as I have the original keys and they fit the handle locks. Maybe in '66 Wolfsburg wanted to use up some surplus '65 door handles until they used them up? Maybe they just did this to annoy enthusiasts decades later ... :D

- You are correct about the upright wings (fenders) being fitted to American models from '67 forward. Too bad really, as the sloping ones give a more pleasing appearance in my opinion.

Nice chatting with you all.
8) No probs!

Like you say, the steering column ignition sounds stock as there would surely be some sign of the OG ignition in the dash if it was aftermarket?

As we all know, '67's can be a real combination of cross over parts, although I have to say that UK 67's with their sloping wings, 4 stud wheels and short decklids etc can look a little weird - the US spec 67's seem better proportioned imo.

I have a couple of contacts in Germany that I have made over the past year who have '66 bugs, I'll point them in this direction and see if they can shed any more light on this!

Alex.
grover89

Thanks

Post by grover89 »

Thanks guys for all of the info it's greatly appreciated. I guess I'll eventually get this figured out. Now my next problem is finding out if the engine actually is 1300. I've seen where it's posted there should be an F preceding the number on the generator stand. I have numbers on my stand but can't seem to locate the F, maybe a replacement stand I don't know. There is a pretty clear picture of it on here, maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot :?:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

WOW - This door handle thing has become quite a subject, spanning a few different threads. As I mentioned all of my 66's have been the square (not round push button). Well I did some research and found that the round push button handle was put on in May of 1966 (My bug was made in January of 1966) and was a design that was used for less than two years. So I think that explains the variety that exists out there.

Hey Grover89: If there is an F on the case it would be right before the numbers.
Fontanagrau

Picture of '66 round push button

Post by Fontanagrau »

You mean this round push button? But I have it on my early '66 beetle build in february. so there goes your theory :?
Attachments
drukknop.jpg
drukknop.jpg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 10762 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Interesting, Who knows why it is like that (perhaps yours were swapped out at some time or perhaps with all the handles that existed the change took place earlier than reported). Wasn't my theory though, it came from a book (VW Beetle: A comprehensive illustrated history of the world's most popular car. Keith Sueme. 160 pages. Hard Cover - it's one of my personal favorites). listing all the changes by year and month - go figure.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the looks of the round button - I actually prefer that look - just never had a 66 with it.
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hi John: I have the same book and read the same thing - you may be right about handles being used beyond when the replacements were made in May - hard to say!

I have the square variety.
Phil
San Antonio