Problems when engine is luke warm

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

J.T. Norway

Problems when engine is luke warm

Post by J.T. Norway »

Hi
Im new to this forum, and since this is a 66vw forum im hopefully in the right place and the experts are here and care to share their knowledge.

I have a stock 66 1300 with 91000km (56500miles) on the clock since new
Bought the car in 2013 and have had this annoying problem since day one.

Im a trained car mechanic, and very used to old cars and engines with points ignition and carburator. So this should not be any problem i thought... :oops:

Engine starts fine when cold, but for the first 10 min or so it will missfire and backfire during acceleration. When i depress the clutch it will stall. As soon as it heats up it is automagically cured...

Valves are set to 0,1mm cold, points set to 47 deg dwell angle, and timing to 7,5 deg BTDC with vacuum blocked off.

I have changed points, condenser, plugs and plugcables. Even coil has been changed.
Carb has been gone thru, and works perfectly when engine is hot.
Fuel is fresh, 98 octane unleaded since that is the only kind without alcohol you can get here in Norway.
Oilbath filter is not overfilled.

The only thing left is the distributor, but it seems to work fine, vacuum advance works good, and it seems not to be sticking when cold either
Any thoughts on this problem?

Sorry for the long post

Regards JT
h~moto

Re: Problems when engine is luke warm

Post by h~moto »

Hello and welcome to the forum. This is just a guess but it could possibly be caused by the pre-heat tube on the intake manifold being partially blocked. When it is running poorly, are there any signs of icing on the manifold just below the carburetor?
J.T. Norway

Re: Problems when engine is luke warm

Post by J.T. Norway »

Thanks, i havent noticed any ice, only condensation. I will have to check it anyway, to make sure

JT