nesbie; 1966 Bug

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
grouchyandugly

nesbie; 1966 Bug

Post by grouchyandugly »

so. "how long have i owned it?"..... since i boght it!! (true!).... i traveled some 160 miles one way to buy mine, on 30MAY21. reason for buying this: 1. last year for the 6V. 2. Body, frame, interior was NICE (altho Electrical Gremilns are at home in it now---no lights, turn signals, wipers.. tail light working but very DIM (makes it feel like ME). 3. Engine still a 1300 (number F0838475). 4. All eng "tin" present (even the TIN under the pushrod tubes.... there was one problem, and that was the Clutch was ALL the dumb dirtyword way at the top, no "foreplay'' (whups, no freeplay). advertised NEW TIRES. 3 were. pulled the LR off to get at the Clutch Adjustment and then discovered that Tire was some 19 years old and dry-rot cracks all around it. After soaking the Cluich Adjuster Butterfly/Wing with PB Blaster for 5 hours it came loose and i adjusted it for free play (no foreplay this time....) came with no spare rim/tire, so yeateresday i drove some 52 miles one way and bought 2 rims for $40 (as he would not sell me just one), so next step will be buying a new Tire to matc h the others: 165/80X15. Bugs starts right up easy/fast. and as i always keep a record/log, today i intend to change the oil, as i do not know when it was last changed, etc. using 15W40 Diesel Oil, with ZINC. Valves are not complaining where i can hear them so i will do that sometime in the future. between 35-40MPH there is a SHUDDER thru the steering wheel.... above that at 50 it is fine---QUESTION: is that a "warning" for ball joint problems??? stay safe. thanksImage[/img][/img]
Attachments
103_0592.JPG
103_0592.JPG (78.74 KiB) Viewed 7312 times
103_0596.JPG
103_0596.JPG (56.94 KiB) Viewed 7312 times
103_0601.JPG
103_0601.JPG (62.25 KiB) Viewed 7312 times
h~moto

Re: nesbie; 1966 Bug

Post by h~moto »

Your car looks great. The shudder could be ball joints or something else in the front end. Could even be tires out of balance. Time to check for loose components.
Java Green

Re: nesbie; 1966 Bug

Post by Java Green »

Very nice car; you're fortunate to find one in such apparently nice shape. I'm envious of your engine being a turn key good runner...and the interior looks to be more than satisfactory. Mine is in none of those conditions, but makes up for it in other ways. Isn't interesting the wide variety of conditions these cars can be found in when you can find them. Priced accordingly unless the luck is with you.
I live in NW Oregon and finding usable wheels locally for ANY year is an exercise in futility. But you are willing to travel for parts and that's what it takes nowadays. My engine # is a little older: F0823556 and is a candidate for being factory original to the car as the VIN and motor are a late April-early-May build if I read the charts correctly. It has been converted to 1600 by an anonymous PO, but I'm actually good with that.
Good luck with the electrics. From what I've read on The Samba you could merely be a diligent cleaning and scraping of contacts away from getting good signals to the various bulbs. If the 'black box' (or possibly blue) is toast there are go-arounds that -I believe- sacrifice the 4-way flasher. I was gifted a rebuilt 12v generator so the conversion choice was irresistible.
Welcome to the house of 66.