Just purchased a '66 and have a few questions...

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Rob66

Just purchased a '66 and have a few questions...

Post by Rob66 »

Hello All,

I just purchased a very original 66 and have a few questions. First off, I love driving the bug, my wife has already named it "Carbon" as it is not quite our diamond in the rough.

Carbon is going to need a little body work including new paint, my question is two fenders are in good shape while the other two have a couple of dents in them, are there any good replacement fenders out there? I've heard negative comments that some of the fenders do not fit or install well. Any thoughts? Any vendor better than another?

While I want to have a good looking bug that can be driven, I'm not looking for show quality.

Thanks,

Rob
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Which fenders are dented? front or rear? The repro rear fenders are generally ok, unless you wish to fit gravel guards, often the gravel guards will need some fettling to fit repro rear and front fenders. Most people worry about the front fenders as repro steel fenders are noticably different in width to OG metal (most noticeable on lowered cars). Are the fenders repairable? If originality is real important then try to keep to original parts or replacement. If you choose repro, don't throw the old fenders if they are OG examples - dry store them for another day.

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I agree with the above comments, if the fenders are repairable and are original I'd go that route first...if not Wolfsburgwest.com is where I would go to get after market fenders.

Front Fenders:
http://wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/ ... fender.cfm

Rear Fenders:
http://wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/ ... fender.cfm
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Thanks for the responses. I can't wait to get the body work and paint completed.

Thanks!

Rob