Driver Side Mirror Problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

oldbugguy

Driver Side Mirror Problem

Post by oldbugguy »

So... It's been a while for me, but I don't remember having this issue with my other bugs.

When I bought the bug, it didn't have a driver's side mirror. I bought a round replica from Wolfsburg West and installed it. When I open the drivers door, the door swings wide enough that it hits the mirror and knocks it out of adjustment. I thought to my self, it's the check rod, but after buying a replacement and tearing into the door and getting it installed, I find that the issue persists. It's a little better because there is some resistance to the door swinging all the way out, but it still knocks the mirror.

The bottom of the mirror has etched the paint at the contact point, and tried my patience. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and what sort of mirror assembly works. I'm tempted to purchased the pear shaped mirror because it looks like it ends up in a place that might just miss hitting the door.

Thanks,

Tarkmyler - aka OldBugGuy
Attachments
IMG_7481.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG (53.05 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
IMG_7479.JPG
IMG_7479.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
IMG_7480.JPG
IMG_7480.JPG (31.13 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
oldbugguy

Re: Driver Side Mirror Problem

Post by oldbugguy »

Ok. So I answered my own question. After finding the Samba archive of the owners manual with the pear shaped drivers side rear view mirror. I'm ordering one today. Anybody need a round mirror?
Seibert66

Re: Driver Side Mirror Problem

Post by Seibert66 »

I think the pear shaped mirror will also look more appropriate for 1966 if you have that year model, the round one seems to be used for earlier bugs...