1300 hesitation

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Boaski

1300 hesitation

Post by Boaski »

After about 3 years of the Beetle being apart I'm finally ready to start driving the thing. This winter, when I fired it up for the first time I noticed a hesitation when I first gave it the gas. I figured it was the accelerator pump so I bought a rebuild kit and replaced the pump diaphragm... not improvement. At the same time I noticed the fuel pump had quit pumping so I replaced it. It would run fine, it just had a bog when you initially pressed on the pedal. Since it was still cold outside I figured I'd wait until it warmed up to work on it more.

Spring finally arrived & the problem did not go away. I stopped at our local bug repair shop & they thought it was the vacuum advance on the distributor. I purchased an aftermarket 009 mechanical advance distributor... no improvement. This morning I pulled the carb off and cleaned it out well and reassembled. Since it was cruddy I figured this HAD to have fixed it...nope. It only occurs when you initially press the pedal.

What am I missing? It did not do this when I took it apart. I did not do any work to the engine when it was out of the car.

Post by 1300 »

I would go back with the original distributor, the 205K. I bought one of these a few years ago. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1224651
Check the fuel pressure. Could be high with a newer replacement fuel pump. My 1300 was stumbling on take off with a 009, crappy fuel pump and a 30-31 carb. I went back with original fuel pump, distributor and a 30 PICT-1 from Tim at Volksbitz. Runs a lot smoother with no stumbles.

Casey
Boaski

Post by Boaski »

Thank you for the suggestions.

I tried changing the oil level in the air cleaner as well, but no change.

I plan on tinkering with it some more this weekend.
Boaski

Post by Boaski »

Problem finally solved, it was a partially plugged line.

I noticed that even though I had gas squirting out of the brass line in the carburetor throat it seemed to drip as well as spray. On closer inspection I realized nothing came out when you first moved the throttle. I tout apart again and pulled the brass inverted “U” tube out and went at it with carburetor cleaner. After a few rounds of spraying from one end and then the other it started flowing better. I installed it and the difference was dramatic.

So, I spent a lot of time figuring out what it wasn’t before I found the simple fix.
Boaski

Post by Boaski »

Problem finally solved, it was a partially plugged line.

I noticed that even though I had gas squirting out of the brass line in the carburetor throat it seemed to drip as well as spray. On closer inspection I realized nothing came out when you first moved the throttle. I tout apart again and pulled the brass inverted “U” tube out and went at it with carburetor cleaner. After a few rounds of spraying from one end and then the other it started flowing better. I installed it and the difference was dramatic.

So, I spent a lot of time figuring out what it wasn’t before I found the simple fix.