June Bug

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
KDubKev

June Bug

Post by KDubKev »

My new to me 66 Bug has been dubbed June. She is or was Pearl White and is still 6V. She runs like a champ, and AM radio works. Her body is a little rough, but floor pans, battery tray, and spare tire area are all solid. more than anything I just need a driver's rear fender and I can live with the rest of the imperfections. I have done a few things to her like replace the running boards, changed out the door handles so they both match and now lock with a key, and other misc. tasks. Looking forward to learning more about the car. Already love the history behind it. I have a fondness for German air cooled engines. I have a 1971 BMW R60/5 and a 1947 Maytag (Mei tag) model 72 twin boxer air cooled washing machine hit n miss engine I pull out and run once in a while. I wish June had pop out rear windows because Im sure it is gonna get hot here in Texas, but I love her just the same.
[/img]
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your `66.
. . . changed out the door handles so they both match and now lock with a key
Did the passenger side exterior door handle have a key slot and you replaced the handle because it was non functioning or matching the other side, or did it lack a key slot altogether? If it lacked a key slot altogether, then your Beetle might be a European spec Beetle. Euro spec Beetles did not use a key to lock the passenger side door.
KDubKev

Post by KDubKev »

So, Drivers side was square button and aftermarket, and Passenger side was round button. They both had key slots, but it was either find a locksmith to try to key the doors, or..... I found a matching German set on Samba classifieds with a key already. That seemed like the cheapest and easiest option.