Type 4 heat query.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Type 4 heat query.

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
Hope well. I am working on my recently acquired dual carb 1800cc type 4. The previous owner had it overhauled but they fit a centrally mounted carb and it heavily backfired.
I unmounted their modification and have fit 2 carbs- not original equipment though.
I have managed to synchronize both carbs- the same air volume being pulled in by each pair of cylinders.
My challenge faced though is cylinders 3/4, when running, get really hot after an hour. The difference in heat generated in comparison to cylinders 1/2 is immensely different with 1/2 feeling like what I'd expect of a good engine.
On the intake manifolds, the temperatures keep cool almost equal on both cylinder sets while the engine runs but when you turn the engine off, the manifold 3/4 becomes really hot. In short, the cylinders 3/4 is getting really hot- you would be able to touch the exhaust pipes on 1/2 but dare not 3/4 which would be blazing hot.
I checked valve clearance and did them to 0.15mm clearance on overnight cold engine.
I checked the cooling tinware and they all seem well in place.

My question is, is that normal of that engine? If not, what could I be facing? Kindly assist.

Regards.