Heater Concerns

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

mnkytail

Heater Concerns

Post by mnkytail »

So with it getting colder, I'm thinking about using the heater. I have heater boxes, cables hooked up and the levers work everything. Concerned about exhaust in the cabin; carbon monoxide etc.... What do I need to be checking and looking out for, to assure safe and proper function?
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

As the "heater boxes" are technically similar to modern day air-to-air heat exchangers, you have to ensure that hot exhaust fumes are not mixing with the fresh air being drawn in to cool the engine ...that same air is forced into the passenger compartment to heat it. The most important thing to ensure is that the exhaust manifolds at the cylinder head are not leaking; that there are no oil leaks around the oil cooler (this oil will burn off on the engine, and the smell will be transferred to the car's interior through the heated air); that ALL of the original engine tins are in place so that air-flow is working as the VW engineers intended; that the thermostat is adjusted / working properly; and that the engine compartment seals are in place to prevent the cooling system from sucking exhaust fumes into the engine compartment. A properly maintained and adjusted air-cooled heating system will provide plenty of interior warmth, even up here in the Great White North where we have 6 months of winter, and 6 months of poor skating weather! Check out this link: www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/how_it_wo ... led_engine
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

I've got no thermostat, unfortunately. I guess this means I won't get heat quickly. To my knowledge, I don't think I have any leaks in the exhaust manifold - how would I check that? Everything else you mention is in great shape.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

You can buy the thermostat parts from Cip1.com and other parts suppliers ..some of the parts you might have get from a used parts supplier.
Here's some helpful links: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlooE4EdRqc
www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235253
www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1728160
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

mnkytail wrote: To my knowledge, I don't think I have any leaks in the exhaust manifold - how would I check that?
For peace of mind, you could buy one of these. For 5 bucks, it's a no brainer.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/carbo ... ector.html
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

I like the patch thing! Never seen one of those!
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

Digger89L wrote:You can buy the thermostat parts from Cip1.com and other parts suppliers ..some of the parts you might have get from a used parts supplier.
Here's some helpful links: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlooE4EdRqc
www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235253
www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1728160
I've got an aftermarket fan shroud. Can you put a thermostat into those?