Chassis preparations

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
KKV270

Chassis preparations

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
Been a while since I drove my '67...and with good reasons... I had always wanted to do a good body-work...which has now turned into a full restore.

I have the body off the chassis and cleaning all parts on the chassis. A question I have, what kinds of paint/protection can I consider using on the floor and chassis? I was thinking of painting the whole thing with tar...is it a good idea? I live in Africa where dust/muddy puddles is the order the day.

I would also wish to know good options for working on the wheel drums and backing plate as well as rims.

Thank you.
Saintsfan

Post by Saintsfan »

I painted mine real good and used tar on the underneath. Wolfsburgwest.com has great stuff for your restoration to keep your bug alive!
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Thank you Saintsfan.

I scrubbed the frame down, primed it then applied some bitumen product called RC2. I scratched down to metal on the floor panel and primed, waiting to patch up some areas I cut off due to rust, then will prime, apply the RCR then layer the whole floor with some bitumen mat I got...the same product that is layered on the chassis tunnel. I'm confident it will not only look really neat but also keep rust away for quite a long time to come. I also plan on painting tar at the bottom once agai as done by the previous owner. I believe the floor is in the good state because of what he did.

Cheers