6 volt battery model , type, brands

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

FeWolf

Post by FeWolf »

can someone direct me to the specific group , model, brands etc. available today for a replacement battery

thanks

fred
FeWolf

battery

Post by FeWolf »

Nevermind, i located one

thanks
Roadbug

Battery

Post by Roadbug »

Why don;t you share what you found and where? The 19L is no longer supplied by Johnson Controls to NAPA or Interstate Batteries.
I went to the 6 Volt Optima. (Laid down)
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Not sure if this is helpful to USA folks, but I recently purchased a 6-Volt "Sonic 36" battery, its a brand that is sold by Federated Cooperatives Ltd. stores in Canada. It has the following info on it:
#701MF
Series 4000
610 CCA
750 CA
D1
Not sure of the manufacturer, but it says 'Made for Interprovincial Cooperative Ltd."
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Roadbug - I also went with the Optima 6 volt. It is expensive but as you said, you don't need to worry if its upright and I think its a great battery!
FeWolf

Post by FeWolf »

Now that i see these replies, i may have been hasty

The NAPA guy said he had one,, but now i have to double check
Roadbug

Optima 6 Volt

Post by Roadbug »

I heard a rumor that the Optima 6 Volt was discontinued. Then I asked on the AACA web site if it was true. Someone a replied that there were none available anywhere. Finally a Optima guy named Jim wrote and said "production Problems" had caused the shortage and they would be available again next month.
Glad to hear that!!!
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.