Behind rear seat carpet colour?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Working on my 66 originally Bahama Blue beetle, which had black vinyl basket weave upholstery and black carpet sections in the front area. I plan on staying with the original colours when I finally get it completed, but I'm confused about what carpet colour was originally used in the back area: on the back of the rear seat and on the rear luggage shelf. Was it black also? ...it so faded I can't tell. I see lots of 'complete' carpet sets listed (TMI etc.) and some 7 piece kits that seem to match the OEM setup: ie: rubber mats with only carpet sections on door sills, front fireware, front side kick panels, and the rear luggage area. But was the OEM setup all the same colour, front to back, or were the luggage area carpets a different colour? Thank you.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
dkdjad

Post by dkdjad »

Yes, all the carpet was the same color. I have restored a 66 Bahama Blue and kept it as original as possible. I used German square weave carpet. While the color is listed as black, it is actually a very dark gray.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Thank you very much for the reply! As you can see from my signature photo, I was the proud owner of a 1966 Bahama Blue back in the day. I bought it used (had about 40,000 miles on it) during the summer of 1968 ...I think I paid about $1200 CDN for it. Unfortunately, I don't have very many photos of it. I found a 'duplicate' about 4 years ago, and have been slowly working towards getting it restored in my spare time. I'll be doing a 'stock' job as well ...not museum quality, but the best that I can afford. Do you have any photos of your car posted anywhere? I'd love to see it.

Thanks,
Dave.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
dkdjad

Post by dkdjad »

Happy to help. I started my project 5 years ago and found this site to be a very valuable source of information. It took me a year to complete, and that was working on it almost every day. (I'm retired!).
I've owned it for 26 years. I bought it from the estate of the original owner. Today it has only 46700 original miles.
Attachments
VW Show.jpg
VW Show.jpg (88.53 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

VERY nice!!! Sure brings back the memories of what mine looked like back in the summer of 1969 ....right down to the thin-line whitewall tires!!! Curious: do you have coloured running board mats ...or are they black. The experts say the mats should be 'Alpine Blue' ...frankly, I don't remember from back in the day. I note that you have used black fender-beading ...I'm going to try to re-use my original body-colour beading if I can clean the pink paint off of it. Yes ...some idiot spray-canned my car PINK !! Good grief!!
Roadbug

Post by Roadbug »

"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape", you are not using enough!
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

For sure ...never can use too much of a good thing!! (Don't know why I never got an email about your post a month ago when you first posted it ......weird.)