Back from the shop

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Dino

Back from the shop

Post by Dino »

It spent the week at Karls custom VW getting converted back to drum brakes and 2" drop spindles installed. Looks pretty good. Just a couple more issues to resolve! 8)

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Very Sweet Dino!
Dino

Post by Dino »

Thanks! I want to keep it original in most ways with just some custom twists to make it interesting. The color was already changed and a bigger engine swapped in before I got it. No matter what the yellow wouldn't be original, so no harm done... :)
kartl

Post by kartl »

Nice work what they did in your lovely car, by the way if you dont mind asking how much did it cost all in all?

Sweet yellow

Post by rokemester »

Great yellow BUG. What a cool looking ride.
carol

Post by carol »

did they have yellow 66's in the States ?? Here in Germany that was not an original color
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It was not an original 66 color but a very popular color. My first 66 came from California and the previous owners had painted it the sun bug gold color - I loved that color too.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Bugs must have been really cheap to paint 15 or 20 years ago! Seams like they all got repainted. Or was there some issue with the original paint?

Either way, that bug looks great. May not have been original color, but it should have been. Looks natural on it.
carol

Post by carol »

I agree it does look quite natural--what a gem!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I'm not sure there were any issues with the paint overall, but in Wisconsin I can tell you that the winters and salt took a toll on the beetles. The real problem spots tended to be between the fenders and the quarter panels, the heater channels behind the running boards, and then under the light buckets - they would always become a rusty mess. I don't know many cars that are 40+years old and still have the original paint job (I suppose it happens but it has to be very rare).
russ c

Post by russ c »

nice car nice color! :D
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Converted back to drums? from what? Disc?

Some of the later models were that color yellow, or similar.
jenni66

Post by jenni66 »

Dino wrote:It spent the week at Karls custom VW getting converted back to drum brakes and 2" drop spindles installed. Looks pretty good. Just a couple more issues to resolve!
There was an original 66 colors, but also a very popular color. My first 66 came from California and the previous owners had painted the color of the Golden Sun arc - too much, and I liked this color led Lights. :)