Door handle shields

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Seibert66

Door handle shields

Post by Seibert66 »

In the accessory brochure from 1966, among several items, door handle shields are displayed as option # 40 as in the picture here attached.
I was wondering if anybody on this forum had issues with the installation...they are supposed to slide and get trapped under the door handle and rubber seal... but to me it seems virtually impossible to properly re-alligned the handle screws once the shields are in place. Anybody's feedback on that?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/li ... /page3.jpg
Attachments
page3.jpg
page3.jpg (73.93 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

They fit fine and you should have no issues as they will more than likely be knockoffs. Famous last words.
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

I'll try again, I failed my first attempt when I tried to slide the guard under the handle.. doing so the handle moves slightly outward...as a result I loose clearance for the handle screws to slide back into the assigned holes...maybe I have to work more on the black rubber seal (it seats under the handle and it protects the door paint)...
russ c

Post by russ c »

I took my handle off to do it it fit right in. I bought mine from Wolfsburg west good luck!
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try again...