Missing 1300 designation on deck lid?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

DeeJaye1970

Missing 1300 designation on deck lid?

Post by DeeJaye1970 »

I've checked my engine and chassis numbers on my '66 Beetle and confirmed that she's got the original 1300. However, there's no "1300" emblem on the back like I understand she's supposed to have. I looked on the underside of the lid and I can't see where there's any indentions or holes where maybe someone took it off and then filled them in.

So I'm wondering if some '66 1300s didn't come with the emblem? If they all did, then I'm thinking the lid isn't the original.

Thoughts?
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

It looks like a 1965 deck lid...or a Canadian '66 (Canadian models used deck lids without the emblem in combination with 1200 engines)...
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I find this to be a bit of an odd question. It is not inconceivable that at some point in the past 52 years the original rear deck lid got changed out ..perhaps due to a minor accident, etc. The fact that your current deck lid does not have the original 1300 emblem might not be much of a mystery at all ...
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
DeeJaye1970

Post by DeeJaye1970 »

Thanks for the info, Seibert66. I'll look into that.

Digger89L, why is that an odd question? I'm curious about the history of the car. Of course it could have been swapped at some point, but I'm only curious if some came out of the factory without the emblem. Apparently, it's a possibility.

If you don't ask, you'll never know. That's why we have a forum. :)
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

yeah ...I guess you're right: quality control COULD have missed it ...I suppose.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."