Electric Fuel Pump

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

lilbugger

Electric Fuel Pump

Post by lilbugger »

I'm considering installing an electric fuel pump in my 66. It currently has a 1600cc and solex 34PICT3 carb. Is anyone running an elec. fuel pump? Pros/Cons?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I have been running a Facet electric fuel pump for years. Never a problem. I recently relocated it to just below the tank and added a fuel cut off relay to stop it running if there is an issue.
lilbugger

Post by lilbugger »

Thanks for the reply. If you have a model # for the pump lmk. Also wondering if it matters where I place the pump in relation to the fuel filter which is inline near the tank. I'll have to do some research on the psi rating I need for the pump, if anyone has that lmk. Thanks!
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Cip1 sells the EMPI brand electric fuel pumps for $28 to $50, depending in the application. I think you'll need a special relay as well.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The Empi pump is similar. I mounted under the tank on the pan behind the passenger wheel. That's also where the filter is. Here is a post on how someone rigged a fuel pump shut off.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=175724

I bought one and installed.