My VW Beetle Story

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
lovebug66

My VW Beetle Story

Post by lovebug66 »

Hi! I am 38 years young. When I was 5, my Mom was getting her three daughters around in a dark blue VW Beetle. I don't know what year it was. For fun, she used to tell me that she would hand the car down to each of us as we got old enough to drive. I was the baby, and I took it seriously! Of course, over the next couple of years, she got rid of "Betsy" and "upgraded" to "nicer" cars (she did sell real estate and had to lug prospective buyers around). I have a photo of myself standing in front of "Betsy" back then. I have always said I wanted my own Beetle. For the last twelve years, I have told my husband (of twelve years) that for my 40th birthday, the only thing I wanted was my own beetle!! He surprised me on Memorial Day weekend (not even 39 yet!) in front of all our friends, with the most beautiful, blue, 1966 VW Type I!!!! I cried! She's beautiful. I can't wait for all my fun we're going to have. I am a visiting nurse, so I won't use her for work (too many miles), but boy will I use her for play.

[color=blue]We don't know a thing about mechanics, but we're planning on learning. The information from the buyer states: rebuilt transmission; three layers of paint stripped down to metal before new paint job, replaced all seals, gaskets, running boards, headliner; new tires, odometer not accurate due to prior owner replaced engine with a 1500.; and heater works.

She bought the car in 1999 in New Mexico from the second owner (who purchased it in 1969 from the original owner). Never exposed to "rust" causing weather because the car lived in New Mexico her entire life. At that tiime, the engine was her third and had less than 6,000 miles on it.
The third owner (whom my husband purchased her from) stated she put approximately 10,000 miles on her.

I love that she has such an interesting, and loving history! I plan to give her the same :D
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Lovebug66 and welcome to the forum! What a great story (and great huswband!)! Your beetle sounds like a real gem and I'm sure you will start to build some new memories with her! You can always attach pictures to your post - so when you get a chance I'm sure we'd all love to see her!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Welcome lovebug66, what a nice story too. I think the attention one draws in an original Beetle is one of the things I enjoy the most. I was chased down on the 3rd of July at a Chick-fil-a restaurant by someone offering to buy my bug out from under me!

Don't sell! Ever!
'66 Type I
markostephano

Post by markostephano »

Welcome! That was a great story, and we ARE looking forward to some pictures of your Vee Dub. :)
All Rights Reserved. All Wrongs Reversed.