turn signals working intermittently - need new relay?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Daley-Double

turn signals working intermittently - need new relay?

Post by Daley-Double »

Owned this 66 (6v system) for a couple years & turn signals worked perfectly. Just recently, the turn signal will stay on, often when the brake is depressed. I can hear a buzzing as it seems to be "trying" to blink. Sometimes it will then begin blinking again.

I don't know what a signal relay does, but thought maybe this is a sign that it is going bad?

Thoughts or ideas of how to look into the problem would be most appreciated!
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Before you talk about a faulty relay, could there be another issue- you say the turn signal stays on when the brake is depressed.
Could you be having wires crossing at your fuse box or your tail light holders?

The turn signal relay is what is responsible for the on-off pulse we see on the signal lights. By either not going on when the signal switch is turned on or not giving the on-off pulse could be a faulty relay but I have had an experience of the same that had the culprit as the very turn signal switch. The contacts were not firm.. and on another incident, poor grounding of my signal bulbs so I used to experience both - lack of signal function or just on without flickering.
Your experience seems to do more with your wiring as you mention the signal light responds to your brake pedal. (I'd start with the fuse box and go next to the rare light holder to confirm no crossing wires.
All the best.
Roadbug

Turn signals

Post by Roadbug »

Ours does that but works great when reved up and the battery is fully charged. Often at idle at a light, the stop flashing.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Daley-Double

More details

Post by Daley-Double »

OK - I pulled things apart and made sure everything has good connections. No obvious corrosion or issues. :(

I did some more testing and have determined that it does seem related to the amount of "juice" in the system because the turn signal (both directions) will stay on if there is any additional draw on the electrical system like the lights being on or the brake getting depressed.

I can get it to start blinking again if I rev the engine (seems to be like what Roadbug referred to). If I have it idling and the parking lights on, it will often have trouble blinking but a bit of revving will get it to blink. Idle with the headlights on and it will take more RPM's to get them to blink.

I have a battery tender on the battery showing fully charged & it is new this year, so I don't think that is it.

Does this point to NOT being a relay issue or is this what the relay would do as it gets older?

Thanks for your help & thoughts. I really want to be able to have turn signals when I brake for a corner - although I've gotten used to using my turn signal early now :)
Daley-Double

Post by Daley-Double »

Thanks for the ideas - I went through all the wires to the relay (like THIShttp://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 1953227BWW only for a 6V) one at a time and cleaned them & dielectric grease on them.

Now it works like a champ - brakes on, headlights on.