The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front seal leak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Front seal leak. Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has any advice on why my front seal started to leak. I found a 66 engine on the Samba that had sat outside for a number of years and was locked up. I took it apart and realized case was still in good shape with standard bearings and thrust. Polished crank, put in new cam and lifters with new 1300 pistons and cylinders. It runs really well. The flywheel I put on it had a lot of chatter so I bought a resurfaced (front and back) flywheel from MOFOCO. The front seal did not leak for first year with old flywheel. Endplay is .00385 and I used a Snap on seal installer I have to install seal, just below the surface of the case. Took bug on a 250 mile round trip and 50 miles in, after stopping for gas I noticed puddle of oil under car. I did not replace the O ring in new flywheel, I used the one from last year. Anyone have any idea why such a big leak? I hope to drop engine in next week or so to see what is going on. Casey
darzoom

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil cooler? Make sure to check the oil cooler seals and see that the cooler nuts are not loose when you have the engine out.
KKV270

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A leak from a push-rod tube perhaps? Faulty main seal despite fitting it well?? I once fit a new seal that failed me on the very first drive- (it was cheap yes and did cost me more).
All the best when you get to investigating the problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is certainly main seal. Only when running, I can see it drip out front of case. Everything else is dry. I don't have time to drop engine before Mid America Motorwork's Funfest this weekend in Effingham. About 300 miles round trip, so I will feed its habit until then. I will report back after I have it apart. Casey
KKV270

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just carry a seal or 2 and have your tool kit with you and be ready for an "emergency delivery" should the seal just collapse on the way.
Happy driving.
KKV270

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
How did things go for you on this one matter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still leaking, though oddly not as much as before. I have been on summer vacation and busy with kids. I hope to get to it later this month. I will post what I find. Casey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: