Front seal leak.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Front seal leak.

Post by 1300 »

I wonder if anyone has any advice on why my front seal started to leak. I found a 66 engine on the Samba that had sat outside for a number of years and was locked up. I took it apart and realized case was still in good shape with standard bearings and thrust. Polished crank, put in new cam and lifters with new 1300 pistons and cylinders. It runs really well. The flywheel I put on it had a lot of chatter so I bought a resurfaced (front and back) flywheel from MOFOCO. The front seal did not leak for first year with old flywheel. Endplay is .00385 and I used a Snap on seal installer I have to install seal, just below the surface of the case. Took bug on a 250 mile round trip and 50 miles in, after stopping for gas I noticed puddle of oil under car. I did not replace the O ring in new flywheel, I used the one from last year. Anyone have any idea why such a big leak? I hope to drop engine in next week or so to see what is going on. Casey
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Oil cooler? Make sure to check the oil cooler seals and see that the cooler nuts are not loose when you have the engine out.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

A leak from a push-rod tube perhaps? Faulty main seal despite fitting it well?? I once fit a new seal that failed me on the very first drive- (it was cheap yes and did cost me more).
All the best when you get to investigating the problem.

Post by 1300 »

No, it is certainly main seal. Only when running, I can see it drip out front of case. Everything else is dry. I don't have time to drop engine before Mid America Motorwork's Funfest this weekend in Effingham. About 300 miles round trip, so I will feed its habit until then. I will report back after I have it apart. Casey
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Just carry a seal or 2 and have your tool kit with you and be ready for an "emergency delivery" should the seal just collapse on the way.
Happy driving.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
How did things go for you on this one matter?

Post by 1300 »

It is still leaking, though oddly not as much as before. I have been on summer vacation and busy with kids. I hope to get to it later this month. I will post what I find. Casey