1300 Engine

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

couion

1300 Engine

Post by couion »

I just aquired a 1966 beetle that i would like to do an original restore on. It has been stripped down to nothing. The car is an excellent restore project but has no engine. Are there any rescources to obtain an original 1300 for this or will I have to disguise a 1600?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

You can try the samba classified and to make sure your getting a 1300 case the numbers will start HO
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Beetle Engine Numbers for the 1966 Model Year:

F 0000001 through F 1057754

1300 Engine was one year only for the Beetle
couion

Post by couion »

Thanks guys I'm aware that this was a one year model car thats why I didn't mind parting with my beloved 72 super in very good running condition for a car that is totally dissambled without an engine. Thi is a car that I've been chasing for about 10 years and it finally came my way!!!! Cant wait to get it put back toghether.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Yes do try thesamba.com, they have a classified section that may help. Also some of the internet auction sites have their own automotive sections and you can narrow down what you're looking for pretty easy.

I have had good results at VW shows too. Just make certain any greasy motor you see hasn't thrown a rod through the case. It might be a good idea to pick up a cheap compression tester for any such field work so you can see how far gone a used motor is. Use the procedure for compression testing described in the John Muir book "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive".

Best of luck.
'66 Type I
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Sorry!where the heck did the H come from? :?
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
couion

Post by couion »

Thought I got lucky. I have a Bradley GT 2 In my back yard that is in serious need of a restore. Got to looking at the engine and it is a 1967 1500. So the first thing that popped ito my head was this might be close enough!!!!! GOODY! Then I removed it and found the worst thing possible.
Twenty years of water in the cylinders and case. OH well the search continues.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

>Then I removed it and found the worst thing possible. Twenty years of water in the cylinders and case.<

Don't you just hate the way VW cases kind of turn into that oxidized crumbly stuff where they've been exposed to moisture? I remember once scraping a paper gasket off the oil drain area on a 1970 Bug and suddenly realizing I was scraping off crazed metal with it.
'66 Type I
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

YIKES! :shock:
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

i might have an extra 1300 f if your still looking for one
couion

Post by couion »

I would love to have a 1300 but at this stage of the game i am too deep into the car to swap now. But if i could ask what you are wanting to get for it.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

i honestly dont know what its worth, all i know is it has 200 or 100 thousand miles on it and it hasnt been started in 9 years, but it is not full of water and rusted