Bumper guard parts?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Bumper guard parts?

Post by Digger89L »

I'm trying to put together a decent set of bumpers from the several sets of beat up units I have in the shop. My impatience to get the rusty ones apart led to me destroying a couple of the upper brackets on the inside of the upright bumper guards (the penetrating oil just didn't work fast enough!)
The bumper guards themselves are in decent shape (but will eventually need re-chroming) but the top brackets with the captive nut that are tack-welded inside the bumper guard are twisted up, and a couple of the tack-welds came off.
Does anyone sell these inner brackets, and is it possible to re tack-weld them without destroying the chrome on the outside of the bumper guards?
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I am sure you have looked across the many suppliers for the brackets with no luck. I got many parts from Herrells in Carrolton GA. Call them up 1 770-836-0749 and maybe they have them. Nice people.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

This really can't be repaired. Just keep scouring the swap meets. They do turn up. I've also assembled German bumpers piece by piece.