Ignition?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Ignition?

Post by 661300 »

I'm looking into getting pointless ignition, my question is what ignition do you recommend and why?
dragvw2180

Ignition?

Post by dragvw2180 »

Depends on what you are going to do with it. I have run stock ignition for years with no problems on a stock engine but as the performance went up so did my spark needs also. I run MSD on my car now because I use all the electronics on it, 2 step, rev limiter ect... Tell us what you are going to do with your car so we can give some good adcice. Mike McCarthy
bneal57

Post by bneal57 »

If you are looking to simply replace your points, I would recommend the Pertronix Ignitor. This will work well with the Bosch 009 distributor, but I'm not sure if it will work in the stock vacuum advance distributor. The Pertronix is just as easy to install as a set of points but you will no longer have to worry about burning up a set of points. It works well with performance applications as well. It'll set you back about $70 but worth it I think.
dragvw2180

Ignition?

Post by dragvw2180 »

Pertronix work pretty well , if you use one make sure you use a hot glue gun and put a dab on the wires glueing them to the points plate so that the wires will not rub on the rotor. MIKE
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

If you decide to go this route, keep a spare set of points and a condenser in your spares kit in the car. Pertronix have this unpleasant habit of cooking off for no reason when you need them the most, and having a set of points handy will keep you from being stranded some place that could be a LONG walk home.
bneal57

Post by bneal57 »

Interesting. I've never heard of a Pertronix doing that. I actually changed to the Pertronix because I got tired of replacing points. Not to mention I had a set of points burn up on I-84 in Idaho, half way between Mountain Home and Boise.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Unfortunately it's all too common. Another really fun one is to hook the leads up backwards. There's an 80 dollar mistake for ya. Everyone I know who runs any kind of ignitor keeps a spare set of points and condensor in their car.

...Granted, all of us who run points do too, but that's beside the point. :) The swap is a very good one and you'll definitely be happy you did it, just be prepared, you know?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I've been running Pertronix forever on several cars, and I've never burned a set in countless miles, nor has anyone I know. (But insurance is never a bad idea.)
dcarlson12

Pertronix

Post by dcarlson12 »

Looking to maybe put a Pertronix on my 66 which is still 6 volt and still has original distributor 0 231 137 009 (vacuum advance style).

Some sites emphasis that the coil has to have an impedance of at least 2 ohm or the Pertronix 'coil'/module will burn up.

I couldn't find an installation/instruction file on the Pertronix site for the 1849N6 which is the model specified for my distributor.
I found a document for the 18147V unit.

It says "1. DO NOT USE SOLID CORE SPARK PLUG WIRES. Use
suppression or carbon type spark plug wires."

When they say solid core, I am guessing they mean copper core.

What is the experience of those of you who have installed the Pertronix regarding which coil to use and plug wire type?

Thks,
Dwight