1964 Beetle Steering problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

GrahamSwan

1964 Beetle Steering problem

Post by GrahamSwan »

Hi all. I have a 1964 VW Beetle convertible. There was a lot of play on the steering and I manged to find an excellent steering box...which was fitted. The steering was a dream (maybe did about 200kms since fitting)...but then today on a short 'road-trip' of about 10kms...SUDDENLY play started developing play on the steering again/ there was a almost metal-on-metal scratching feeling when turning steering/ cornering...and turning left became more and more difficult. Made it home, but now she literally will not turn to left...almost as if the steering 'jams' as soon as you try turn steering left...and feels like turning right is about to do same. Any advices would be GREATLY appreciated. Thnx. Graham
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

if you have not done so already, put the car up on jack stands and take the weight off the front wheels. Check if the steering is still tight. It could by your link pins have dried out and need lubrication. Add grease to all grease fittings and check when jacked up. Then put back on ground with weight and check. While jacked up check to see if the oil leaked out of the steering box. IF a seal of gasket failed oil should everywhere?
GrahamSwan

Post by GrahamSwan »

Thank you very much for your advices...much appreciated...I took it to the mechanic who usually works on it...it turns out to be the steering "coupling" that was shot...I have no idea what that is...but apparently it will cost me approx R500 (SA Rand) part, labor and all. Thanks again...Have a great 2017! Kind regards, Graham
darzoom wrote:if you have not done so already, put the car up on jack stands and take the weight off the front wheels. Check if the steering is still tight. It could by your link pins have dried out and need lubrication. Add grease to all grease fittings and check when jacked up. Then put back on ground with weight and check. While jacked up check to see if the oil leaked out of the steering box. IF a seal of gasket failed oil should everywhere?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Please do not post under site info and support unless this is a software related issue. I will move this to the mechanical thread.
GrahamSwan

Post by GrahamSwan »

My apologies...I'm not quite familiar with the 'workings' of this site. None-the-less...well done on a great and helpful site! Regards, Graham
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No problem Graham, welcome to the Forum we are glad to have you as a member!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The steering coupling is basically a donut between the steering box and steering column. If it were bad, it should have been noticed and replaced with the steering box.