Replacing stock oil pump

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

moundtop

Replacing stock oil pump

Post by moundtop »

Greetings 1966ers.
I am doing a completely stock rebuild of my 1966 F-case engine. Finding the correct intake manifold and 77mm pistons/cylinders was quite a chore. Now I am trying to source a new oil pump. Specifically, I am looking for an oil pump with 6mm studs, small oil gallery holes and 21mm gears. So far, the few 6mm stud pumps that I have found all have gears larger than 21mm (more like 26 or 30mm). Any suggestions for where I can find an oil pump matching the specs given above?
Note: I am interested in a historically accurate stock rebuild so full-flowing the oil pump is not an option for me. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

darzoom

Post by darzoom »

2nd JBugs
moundtop

Post by moundtop »

Thanks for the pointer to the JBUGS EMPI 31-2935 oil pump. However, there a few things about that pump that are very different from the OEM unit. First, it has a cast iron body (rather than aluminum). Second, the pumping gears are 26mm long (much larger than the OEM 19mm). Third, I can find no information regarding the size and alignment of the inlet/outlet ports and suspect that they are oversized (relative to the 1300cc engine's smaller oil galleries).

Based on my research: (1) Cast iron oil pumps are more likely to leak (Bob Hoover); and, (2) the largest oil drive gears that one should use on a stock 1300cc F-case motor is 21mm (otherwise excess cavitation is likely to reduce the operational efficiency of the pump)(ACN).

So....I'm looking for either a NOS OEM oil pump or an aftermarket oil pump with: aluminum body; 6mm cover studs; drive gears between 19-21mm and properly sized inlet/outlet ports. The closest fit to these specs that I have found can be seen at the following URL link:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/beetle/ ... StartRow=1

Despite my diatribe above, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully (or unsuccessfully) installed the JBUGS 31-2935 oil pump in an F-case.

Best regards from Vermillion, SD
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Try K&K parts in Orlando Florida. They have been in the business for ~40 years and may have a NOS older style pump sitting on the shelf. 1 407-851-6430

Post by 1300 »

moundtop

Post by moundtop »

Found a NOS LMB German OEM qualty pump the fits 1961-67 type 1 (6 mm studs, small oil galleriies, 21 mm gears). I have another F case project planned for late summer and will be looking for yet another stock oil pump and NOS 1300 cylinder/piston set (preferablly German).
Thanks again.