starting hot vs. cold

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

sonofherbie

starting hot vs. cold

Post by sonofherbie »

Just replaced my carburetor, and my '66 is running beautifully. However, I've noticed that while it starts the first time everytime when cold, after a drive (20 minutes +), if shut off, it doesn't want to start again for a while (till it cools?). Any suggestions?

Thanks much!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Check your fuel lines in conjuction with heads,exhaust which may cause vapor locking or air bubble in fuel line.Also check if your intake is frosting up which is caused by a plugged heat riser. Hope this helps,mine vapor locked on me 100 miles from nowhere recently and took me 3 hours to prime the fuel pump! 91 degrees is to hot and somebody forgot to open the flaps and let the hot air out which didn't help! Maybe I should reinstall my thermostat? :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

Much obliged, Scruffy!
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Ive been reading some of my hotrodding vw books, they state that the vw engine is very tempermental about the fuel giving to the engine, an offset of ratio of gas to air would be enough to cause your vw problems, being that the vw is aircooled the air in the engine compartment has the most variations, remember science? cold air(when you start it) is denser then wamr air( when it has been run for a while) with the denser cold air the fuel to air ratio is going to be higher then when the air is warmed up, if the ratio is thrown off far enough ( remeber the tempermental vw ratios) the engine would not want to run properly and/ or run, so I'm not sure what this means, adjust the carb a little, slim done the ratio so it makes it harder to start but run when its warmed up. I think im over thinking this thing but heck I like to feel smart every once in a while.
A volksie thanks,
Max
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

sonofherbie
in order for me o help you i need to know the following
-what carb are you running?
-what distributor are you running?
-did you adjust the valves ?
-did you touch the distributor in any way
-you had to have done more then the carb what else did you do//

matt
volksbugusa
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

boy I have to get back here more often.I forgot to ask after seeing what Matt posted. Won't start after you drove it and engine warmed up to temp?Does it turn over when hot or only after it cools down? If that's the case it would be the front bearing on your starter seizing up.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

nah, just give it a good kick on the tire when it dies, shell start right back up
A volksie thanks,
Max