European '66 Beetle Restoration Log

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Sorry to hear about your hospital stay...blood clots are nothing to fool around with - glad your better, and that's great advice for others who think they don't need to see a Doctor!

Don't worry about your bug - there will always be time to work on it, and I'm not sure what the weather is like where you live but are you sure there is even going to be a Spring this year? :lol:
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Glad you are feeling better 8)

Alex.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hello folks! Thanks for the well wishes, doing much better now ... in fact I just placed an order with Wolfsburg West that should arrive soon. Will do easy stuff for now.

couion: I'm extremely jealous of the bus, good for you! Nothing like exploring, cleaning, fiddling with a freshly purchased project.

jmartini: John, thanks! I am lucky, I hear clots can go to the lungs if you're not careful!

crazydaze: Alex, hope everything is going well in the UK!

I'll try to get some pics up for you all this weekend. Bolting pan to body temporarily whilst I align doors. This should go perfectly awful but also a learning experience.
'66 Type I
couion

Post by couion »

Glad to see you came out of this OK. I'm the one that is jelous of you bolting the pan to the body and getting the doors fitted. If only my 66 was that far along. HAHAHA!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hello, sorry to have been away so long. This past Sunday I attended my first VW show this season so now I'm all energized.

I began to work on the door alignment of my Beetle but quickly tired of it for now. I really need to get on track and finish this in time to have the car painted this year.

So anyway, for now here's a pic of my steering box, all nicely coated in POR-15. Removing it was certainly a chore. Once I had it off I coated it, then later remounted it. The little plastic caps had become rotten and one actually fell down into the grease reservoir so I had a time fishing it out (not wanting to take the thing completely apart). I later found two little replacement plugs that fit in the holes nicely.

I'll be re-POR-15ing several more parts of the pan later as the body shop that had her off the pan last year let the cover blow off the pan a couple times and the POR-15 photo degraded (sigh).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'66 Type I
SeeBlauKafer

Sorry for no updates

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi Volks!

Sorry for not updating the post for so long but not much has been going on with the Beetle honestly since end of 2007.

Shortly following my own hospital stay in March, my father fell ill in April with squamous cell carcinoma and his condition remains quite serious. He is the largest influence (other than John Muir) on my life in the VW hobby, has lived in Germany (during the 'Oval window' years), and taught me all the basics on maintaining and driving a Beetle from early on.

As he nears the end of his treatments this week, and things stabilize, I hope to continue the restoration work soon. Plus the weather is getting more comfortable to work in the garage.

Send one up for my Dad the self proclaimed "VW Meister" if you think about it and thanks as always for reading this post.

-SBK
'66 Type I
couion

Post by couion »

Well wishes to you and your dad.
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Know that your dad, as well as the rest of your family, is in my prayers!
you know...what's his name....he's...thatguy

WIP: 1966 Restore
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Thanks couion and thatguy, much appreciated! We can use all the prayers we can get for sure.

Cheers!
'66 Type I
hasanadel88

Post by hasanadel88 »

i hope i live behind you guys to help me to help me restore my 66 beetle. their is no way even we can't buy any thing from internet too. I wish i could have this book "How to keep your volkswagen alive" :(
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hello VW friends. It is with great sadness that I report the passing of my father "VWmeisterbob" in December '08 after an eight month battle with cancer.

It is largely due to his illness that I put my 1966 VW project on indefinite hold as I was needed for part of his caregiving, but I don't have any regrets and was able to spend lots of quality time with him that would otherwise have been impossible.

It is my hope this message will serve to honor his memory in the VW community.

Dad was the owner of so many Volkswagen automobiles over the years that it's hard to list them all but I will try (in the order in which he purchased them):

- 1970 Type 1 automatic stickshift (white with red interior)
- 1971 Type 411 (yellow with black interior)
- 1974 Type 1 standard Beetle (Red with black interior)
- 1973 Type II Westfalia Campmobile (Orange with green plaid interior)
- 1974 Type 1 Super Beetle (Yellow with black interior)
- 1990 Golf II (White with blue interior)
- 1996 Golf III GTI (Ceramic Blue with black interior)
- 1970 Type 1 (Yukon Yellow with black interior)
- 2007 Golf GL (Black with black interior)

Thanks for being so patient with my thread while the family regroups from our loss.

SBK

(o\!/o)
'66 Type I
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

My condolences SBK - You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
couion

Post by couion »

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I see that he was and will continue to be a big influence on you and your hobby and passion for VW's.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Best wishes to you and for family.

When you finally restart work on your car it will make a fitting truibute to your Dad's life and passions too.

Alex.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

crazydaze wrote:Best wishes to you and for family.

When you finally restart work on your car it will make a fitting truibute to your Dad's life and passions too.

Alex.
Thanks Alex, Couion and John, your words meant a lot to us. As for the Beetle I'm just now starting to stare at it out in my garage again here recently. Sort of like a tired person trying to get up from a comfy chair.

Cheers!

SBK
'66 Type I