Electro-Magnetic Pilot Jet

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

evileye1000

Electro-Magnetic Pilot Jet

Post by evileye1000 »

While tracing down an issue with my carburetor, I have come across an issue that I'd like cleared up. According to many posts on here and on other websites, the 1966 bug did not have a fuel shutoff valve (solenoid), which people say was first introduced in 1967. Some people are very adamant about this. However, I've had 2 1966 bugs, both with Solex 30 Pict-1 carbs and both with the solenoid. Additionally, the 1966 wiring diagram shows a wire "#O2", labeled as electro-magnetic pilot jet. The 1965 wire diagram does not have this wire. And the 1967 wire diagram has the exact same "#02" wire callout.
Or am I just confusing 2 different parts? Is the electro-magnetic pilot jet something other than the fuel shutoff valve?
Finally, is this electro-magnetic pilot jet a 6v specific part? Seems like it would have to be to function properly.
Thanks for any explanation.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

You are not confusing the wiring diagram. The same applies from 66 on. The reason it was in the 66 bug is there were multiple models for multiple countries (not the US) some which included the solenoid. The solenoid was used from 1963 on in various VW Models (bug, bus, ghia) and engine types. VW Choose to make the change to the harness in 1966. In previous models they ran the switch from the hot leg on the coil with a jumper for the choke and solenoid.

The PICT1 was a multi-year use carb and is different (US models) from 66 to 67. This article explains the difference very well:

http://1967beetle.com/30-pict-1-carburetors/

I have come to the harness conclusion because there were changes added in 66 that were prepping for 67 and looking through documentation there in no mention of the solenoid being used in 66.

I have attached pages from the "Without Guesswork" (both 66 issues) pocket shop guide and in the type 1 section it references the PICT 30 and it does not mention the solenoid being used in 1966.

I also attached a picture from the 66 VW 1300 Type 1 (US) owners manual and it is not on the carb. I could find no pictures showing the unused wires in the harness.

I can send clearer pictures if needed. Hope this helps answer your questions.
Attachments
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG (37.15 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG (39.47 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG (40.48 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
evileye1000

Awesome Info

Post by evileye1000 »

Thanks for your complete and thorough answer. Much more than I could have hoped for.
Also, I have verified that the solenoid on my bug is being powered by a lead from the coil. So it all seems to make sense now.
And although I love how original my bug is, I'm going to leave the solenoid in place.
Thanks again.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The article on the 1967 site can help understand if the carb was replaced with the PICT-30 from 67. If mine were close to stock (it's far from it) I would try and keep it that way too.

Drive it like you stole it!