Floor rubber mats

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Seibert66

Floor rubber mats

Post by Seibert66 »

The previous owner didn't have much information, so I'm trying to figure out what was the original set up when the car was originally manufactured. I found left overs of the original mats under the current ones. I attached a pic. At first I thought it was a faded teak color but I'm now wondering if it was actually red.
What were the options for early '66 rubber mats (black or red)? If it was red, should all panels and seats be red as well?
My vin is # 116056650
Attachments
photo copy 2.jpg
photo copy 2.jpg (75.56 KiB) Viewed 6924 times
Last edited by Seibert66 on Tue May 28, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

You are correct. If red mats the sears and doors should also be red. As an over 50 year old car it could have undergone a few transformations. Look at this all original 66 for sale:

http://www.oldbug.com/beck.htm
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Thanks for sharing that link, great example!
Roadbug

Floor Mat

Post by Roadbug »

Our 66 has the red floor mats pictured in the original car listing. It too has faded to a dried out old mauve color. I sure like the car advertised.
I'll have to buy black ones when I do the interior, but I'll miss the red ones.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Dyeing the floor mats is an option that some people have done. I have no experience in this.
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

I recently came across this thread I started a few years ago and I realized that the original information I provided could be misleading for whoever is in the process of stock restoration of a 1966 L568 sea-sand or L87 pearl white euro spec bug. At the time I was trying to figure out the color of my original rubber mats based on US specs and I couldn't find the correct answer. After a few years I figured out that VW created the teak colored door panels with matching rubber mats for the European market only (mine are faded, and not true to the original color anymore). In the US the interior door panels were offered in black, red or platinum/grey depending on the exterior color of the car. But if you have a European imported bug with teak colored panels like mine and you have any interest in keeping it original or restoring the original look, then you'll want mosaic-teak cloth with teak vinyl inserts for front and back seats, brown (VW used the word "rust color" for brown) seat frames and kick panels, teak colored rubber mats, caramel running boards, and sea-sand fender beadings. I hope this helps and big thanks to h~moto for helping me to figuring it all out...