custom or classic?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

cdnwillyg

custom or classic?

Post by cdnwillyg »

I have acquired a stalled 66 project where the PO was installing a 75 IRS and 1600 FI. Should I reverse this and go original or will these mods not affect the value as much as I think they will?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I guess it is a question of what you want in the long run. If it is your intent to have all original car and expect you will sell it for big bucks then change it back. If you are looking for a reliable driver, leave it as is drive it and get another car not so far from original. There are still many out there.

Having done a restore, you end up spending more money than the car would ever be worth. I did it as I have owned the car near 40 years and it will be my last such project. I will never get the money out that I spent.

The cars that sell at Barrett Jackson are few and far between and are restored better than they came from the factory. In most cases, the buyers are people trying to relive their past and are willing to spend gobs of money to do so. There are not that many out there will to do so. In reality, the auctions are skewing the price point of the bug where more an more people feel their car is worth Barrett Jackson dollars.

Whatever you decide, have fun with it!