Questions for Canadian owners

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Questions for Canadian owners

Post by Digger89L »

First ..some background: back in the day (late 1960's) I owned a Bahama Blue 66 Beetle. It did not have an auxiliary heater. My best friend also owned a Ruby Red 66 Beetle. It did not have an auxiliary heater. Fast forward to present day: a couple of years ago, I picked up my current project car (1966 Bahama Blue that had been spray-canned pink). It has an auxiliary heater (the above the transmission Webasto unit). From the interior, the giveaway is the white knob with black cap (actually dark green) to the right of the ashtray. AND, the two 66 parts cars I acquired last year BOTH have the Webasto auxiliary gas heater. I know the heaters were not dealer-installed aftermarket units because the cars' wiring harnesses came factory-made with the heater wiring IN the harness...not added on. AND ...as some other folks have kindly pointed out, Canadian VW literature back in the 60's mentioned the new, standard equipment auxiliary heater. (Back in the day, Webasto was apparently a division of VW). The Webasto heaters could not be operated (unlike the Ebersbacher units) unless the motor was running, as it worked on the basis of re-heating hot air from the engine which was being blown through the x-shaped heater.

So ....the questions: (1) why did some, but not all Canada-destined 66's come with factory-wired, factory installed auxiliary heaters? (2) does anyone have a main wiring diagram for the Canadian 1966 VW Beetle ..showing the auxiliary heater wiring? (3) was there a major recall of these heaters for fire-hazard problems ...as many of them were apparently later disabled or removed?

Any constructive input would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
The thick wire goes to a spark plug on the gas heater unit.
The thick wire goes to a spark plug on the gas heater unit.
igniter.jpg (51.49 KiB) Viewed 46003 times
Webasto over-the-tranny gas heater, with 2 of the hoses missing. It was controlled by the knob on the dash, the heat flap levers between the seats, and an igniter unit installed on the firewall in the engine compartment.
Webasto over-the-tranny gas heater, with 2 of the hoses missing. It was controlled by the knob on the dash, the heat flap levers between the seats, and an igniter unit installed on the firewall in the engine compartment.
webasto 2 small.jpg (194.6 KiB) Viewed 46003 times
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Heater
Attachments
heater.JPG
heater.JPG (59.16 KiB) Viewed 45885 times
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Thanks for the input. However, the wiring diagram you have posted is actually for the Webasto heater for a Porsche 911 ...completely different from the model (#1502.00) that was used in the 1960's VW Beetles.

Still waiting for input from some owners of mid-60's and later Canadian Beetles. According to the literature, 'auxiliary heaters' were standard equipment in 1965 and later (Canadian only??) Beetles ..but I can't vouch for that from personal experience. Back in the day, at least two 66's and a 1968 that I am personally aware of did not come with auxiliary heaters .....so, still trying to figure that out. More curious than anything else ....I don't plan to install a Webasto in my 66 rebuild project.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

No worries. I see you are also on the thread on The Samba about Canadian bugs. Seems the bottom line is proof that your Bug and your friends were really Canadian models. If they were, why were are they the only two that did not follow the standard as stated in the advertising. This may be the conundrum which you may never find and answer. Good luck on your trek to the truth.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Got the birth certificate a while back .....it doesn't help either. Shows that my car (the one I have now, with the Webasto heater) was shipped to Vancouver, Canada, and has two 'unspecified' M-codes: "M 356 Equipment for Canada (cannot be identified)" and "M 051 cannot be identified". Perhaps buried in those unidentified codes is the information about Canadian beetles being equipped / shipped with standard equipment gas heaters? But, it still wouldn't tell me why at least two 1966 (presumably Canadian) beetles that I am personally familiar with, were not so equipped. Early production models, maybe? Unfortunately the bible of progressive improvements doesn't touch on the matter.
carlover

1966 Webasto Heater

Post by carlover »

Digger89L wrote:Got the birth certificate a while back .....it doesn't help either. Shows that my car (the one I have now, with the Webasto heater) was shipped to Vancouver, Canada, and has two 'unspecified' M-codes: "M 356 Equipment for Canada (cannot be identified)" and "M 051 cannot be identified". Perhaps buried in those unidentified codes is the information about Canadian beetles being equipped / shipped with standard equipment gas heaters? But, it still wouldn't tell me why at least two 1966 (presumably Canadian) beetles that I am personally familiar with, were not so equipped. Early production models, maybe? Unfortunately the bible of progressive improvements doesn't touch on the matter.
Hi Which model do you have with the heaters is it the 1300 model or the Canadian Custom 1200 A ? As i am of the opinion that the heater only came standard on the Canadian Custom which is the 1200 A model. That is why some cars the same year got a heater and others did not. Because of the different models ?? What model is on your Birth Certificate ?
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

According to the literature, starting in 1965 the Canadian Deluxe 1300 came standard with an 'auxiliary heater' (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... age5_6.jpg ) and then in 1966 it was standard on both the deluxe and custom beetle models (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... dian/8.jpg). The 'catch' (if there is one ....and I'm saying there probably is) is that sometimes the literature is wrong. They may print the brochures months before the production details are finalized ...even today, new car brochures always have a disclaimer ("some details shown or described may not be accurate" ...etc.) The birth certificate for the car I have now shows it as a '113, VW 1300 sedan". My two 1966 parts cars are also 113 models, as evidenced by the fact that they are not 'stripped down' versions with no chrome trim around the windows, painted vent-window frames, etc.

So, what's your experience with 66 Canadian beetles and auxiliary heaters??
carlover

Post by carlover »

[quote="Digger89L"]According to the literature, starting in 1965 the Canadian Deluxe 1300 came standard with an 'auxiliary heater' (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... age5_6.jpg ) and then in 1966 it was standard on both the deluxe and custom beetle models (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... dian/8.jpg). The 'catch' (if there is one ....and I'm saying there probably is) is that sometimes the literature is wrong. They may print the brochures months before the production details are finalized ...even today, new car brochures always have a disclaimer ("some details shown or described may not be accurate" ...etc.) The birth certificate for the car I have now shows it as a '113, VW 1300 sedan". My two 1966 parts cars are also 113 models, as evidenced by the fact that they are not 'stripped down' versions with no chrome trim around the windows, painted vent-window frames, etc.

I have a 1966 1200 A with 2315 Miles on it and it has the Webasto Heater I also have the pamphlet that came with the car explaining the Heater and operation
carlover

Post by carlover »

carlover wrote:
Digger89L wrote:According to the literature, starting in 1965 the Canadian Deluxe 1300 came standard with an 'auxiliary heater' (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... age5_6.jpg ) and then in 1966 it was standard on both the deluxe and custom beetle models (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... dian/8.jpg). The 'catch' (if there is one ....and I'm saying there probably is) is that sometimes the literature is wrong. They may print the brochures months before the production details are finalized ...even today, new car brochures always have a disclaimer ("some details shown or described may not be accurate" ...etc.) The birth certificate for the car I have now shows it as a '113, VW 1300 sedan". My two 1966 parts cars are also 113 models, as evidenced by the fact that they are not 'stripped down' versions with no chrome trim around the windows, painted vent-window frames, etc.

I have a 1966 1200 A with 2315 Miles on it and it has the Webasto Heater I also have the pamphlet that came with the car explaining the Heater and operation
I also have the B.O.S which shows $17.50 additional cost for my Heater
Last edited by carlover on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlover

Post by carlover »

carlover wrote:
carlover wrote:
Digger89L wrote:According to the literature, starting in 1965 the Canadian Deluxe 1300 came standard with an 'auxiliary heater' (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... age5_6.jpg ) and then in 1966 it was standard on both the deluxe and custom beetle models (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... dian/8.jpg). The 'catch' (if there is one ....and I'm saying there probably is) is that sometimes the literature is wrong. They may print the brochures months before the production details are finalized ...even today, new car brochures always have a disclaimer ("some details shown or described may not be accurate" ...etc.) The birth certificate for the car I have now shows it as a '113, VW 1300 sedan". My two 1966 parts cars are also 113 models, as evidenced by the fact that they are not 'stripped down' versions with no chrome trim around the windows, painted vent-window frames, etc.

I also have the B.O.S which shows $1750.00 for my Heater
Mine is what they call 111 1966 1200 A Custom 1598/ 1966 and it also has the same codes on my B.C as on your Birth Certificate, plus a few more . Apparently it was the only 1966 1200 A sold in SK. from Depage V.W. Regina in 1966
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Got your PM ...will tag up later. Yeah, its amazing they sold any Canadian Customs at all ...I think they were only about $150 cheaper than a 113 model 1300. So, you're saying yours sold for $1750 new in 1966 from DePape VW in Regina, SK .....including the gas heater? I think I paid $1200 in July 1968 for my 1966 Deluxe from a GM dealer in Saskatoon, SK. It had about 40,000 miles on it, and was just like new. Threw a valve a month later, but never had any other problems with it for the next 2 years.
carlover

Post by carlover »

Digger89L wrote:Got your PM ...will tag up later. Yeah, its amazing they sold any Canadian Customs at all ...I think they were only about $150 cheaper than a 113 model 1300. So, you're saying yours sold for $1750 new in 1966 from DePape VW in Regina, SK .....including the gas heater? I think I paid $1200 in July 1968 for my 1966 Deluxe from a GM dealer in Saskatoon, SK. It had about 40,000 miles on it, and was just like new. Threw a valve a month later, but never had any other problems with it for the next 2 years.
Sorry no I meant the heater for the car was $17.50 on the B.O.S The total price was $1,680.00 . My computer and typing skills are not the greatest Will try post picture of the Pamplet for the Webasto Heater Thanks TTYL
carlover

Post by carlover »

carlover wrote:
Digger89L wrote:Got your PM ...will tag up later. Yeah, its amazing they sold any Canadian Customs at all ...I think they were only about $150 cheaper than a 113 model 1300. So, you're saying yours sold for $1750 new in 1966 from DePape VW in Regina, SK .....including the gas heater? I think I paid $1200 in July 1968 for my 1966 Deluxe from a GM dealer in Saskatoon, SK. It had about 40,000 miles on it, and was just like new. Threw a valve a month later, but never had any other problems with it for the next 2 years.
Sorry no I meant the heater for the car was $17.50 on the B.O.S The total price was $1,680.00 . My computer and typing skills are not the greatest Will try post picture of the Pamplet for the Webasto Heater Thanks TTYL
Attachments
Webasto Pamphlet
Webasto Pamphlet
1966 VW 1200 A Booklets 017.JPG (54.12 KiB) Viewed 45736 times
carlover

Post by carlover »

carlover wrote:
carlover wrote:
Picture of Webasto Heater Pamphlet comes with new 1966 Cars Instructions how to operate inside of the Pamphlet ! Thanks
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Yeah, that would be neat to have the pages of that booklet posted on the forum here. All that I've seen in terms of instructions is a German language version. I don't plan on restoring the Webasto heater and using it ....may leave it on the car, but just for curiousity sake ....