New member from B.C. Canada

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Deckgun

New member from B.C. Canada

Post by Deckgun »

Have a bit of mechanical background, I went to trade school after high school, then worked for Cadillac for about 5 months before going in the U.S. Army in 1966. I was a helicopter mechanic in the army and ran an engine shop for Pratt & Whitney R2800 Radial Recips. Worked for Siegfried Motors, a VW dealer in New Jersey from 1970 - 1973, then for New Westminster VW in British Columbia for a year. Became a career firefighter in 1974, but VW had me come back and work part time which was nice as we had just bought our first house. So have about 6 years VW experience on air cooled mostly. Last year I acquired a 1966 that has been sitting in my brother in laws front yard for 20 years. Started on it 2 months ago and now have the body off, got the engine running for the first time in 20 years after fixing the carb. Just did an oil change and tune up but got the wrong pts and condenser. Want to run it through the gears and see what the transmission sounds like. This 66 was sold and registered as a 1967 fastback type 3 on the original documentation, so I had to take a picture of the SN and send it to our registering agency. It is now registered as a 1966. My brother in law knew the original owner and the story I got was that some 67's had a 66 sn and were 6 volt systems?? Anyone ever hear that one before, LOL.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

I have not heard of any 67's on 6 volt. But, the factory did some strange stuff during the two years with changes mid year in 66 as well.

Welcome to the site.
Deckgun

Newby

Post by Deckgun »

Thanks for the welcome Darzoom. I tried contacting VW about the registration and they referred me to the dealer, whom I had already contacted and of course disavowed any knowledge of the incident. It is a new owner so there is no way they could have known the dubious going's on of the previous owners. Worked for a couple myself that I would not want to go back to, one case I kept a list of Work Order numbers and customer names.