In trouble with the wife!!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

AdelaideBug

In trouble with the wife!!

Post by AdelaideBug »

Recently bought a '66 for $2500

Took it to the garage and it needs $1000 of work done which requires the engine being pulled out.

Then $2000 to sort the rust.

Then $2500 for a new paint job.

$8000 for a 40 year old car!!!!!!!!!

She told me to cut my losses and sell!!!

WHAT TO DO!??

Start saving or save my marriage?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I believe the VW Beetle was around 1600.00 new in 1966 - converted to todays dollar that equates to roughly 10,000.00 I believe (so still a deal at 8000.00) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, if you have all that work done and it is done right and the car looks new - that will still be a good deal at 8000.00. You could find a solid car and pay aournd 6000.00 and it might still need the engine work and a paint job (and perhaps an interior) - so it really comes down to what's available in your area. My '66 cost me 6500.00 and what I got was a super solid beetle with the original engine. I have since re-done the interior, repainted the exterior, and rebuilt the engine - you can imagine what the total cost has been - but I love the car and now it's the way I want it.

Just my opinion :lol:
Last edited by jmartini on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

That's kind of how I feel.

I chose the car so I have a duty to look after it! (bit like a pet).

If I get rid lord knows what will happen to it...its not as if they are going to make more 66's.

I am going for it!!!!

I want a nice shiny (but original) colour.....is the fontana grey a flat grey or is it a shiny grey? Does that make sense???

Getting rid of th white as every bug I see is white.

BTW bought a new number plate last week LOVE 66 !!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good for you! It's nice to see a car get the attention it needs instead of just ending it's life in a scrap heap or being parted out. I have not seen Fontana Gray in a while but my recollection is that it is a shiny color not a flat.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Right on, 4 wifes and I've still got my VW's. Take me as I is cuz thar ain't no moe!Ohhh the paint is not supose to be flat? ooops!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife