'66 Beetle Original Bill of Sale

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
SeeBlauKafer

'66 Beetle Original Bill of Sale

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

This is a continuation post originating in my New Member Greeting.

My 1966 Beetle was purchased by a Captain in the USAF in February 1966 from Autohaus Ing. Fritz Schurstein in Walldorf, Germany. The Captain was stationed at Rh, Main-Airbase (Frankfurt).

The "Rechnung" (Bill of Sale) states:
VW-Typ 113/M350/KL 74
Ausfuhrung: VW-Limousine 1300 mit Export-Ausstattung und KL-Sitzen (this means he got "export equipment" bumpers, speedometer, etc. and 'KL' seats ... the KL maybe means air-permiable vinyl seats?)
Lackierung: seeblau (Paint: Sea Blue)
Preis ab Werk (Price from Factory): 5,185.50 (Deutsche Marks)
Frachtkosten usw. (freight charges): 151.00
Gesamt (total): 5,336.50 (At that time the exchange rate of Deutsche Marks to US Dollars was 4DM to $1.00 ... WOW eh?) which means he paid a total of about $1,334.13 for the '66 Bug brand new off the lot in Germany.

I got two really cool maintenance books with the car, one in German and one in English. The German one says "Kundendienstheft mit Anschriftenplatte" ... "Bitte im Handschuhkasten Mitfuhren" (Customer service booklet with address plate ... please keep in glove compartment). This contains "Service Booklet 1 for VW 1200/1300 and Transporter" and contains records from the delivery inspection through 27,000 miles which he reached in July 1974 (then the English book takes over).

The English book is the later silver (long) 1969 booklet and was probably issued by a dealer in the US once the car arrived here. It contains records through the 48,000 mile service (44,795 miles in May 1978).

After that I have a huge file of just about every receipt the guy ever received pertaining to the car from oil changes to bodywork. It's a really interesting look into the history of maintenance costs over the decades.

Some of the maintenance charges are as follows:
- A 12,000 mile check cost $21.73 in 1969
- A voltage regulator cost $13.10 parts and $7 labor in 1969
- Major tune up at 16, 957 miles cost $52.70 in 1971
- Brake adjustments cost $8.70 in 1971
- Complete brake job (turn drums r&r shoes) cost $87.90 in 1972

I like these bits and scraps because they help preserve the history of VW in the mid to late 1960's. Can you imagine Germany with a 4 to 1 exchange rate? My Father can because he was there in the Army.

Hope you find this interesting.
Last edited by SeeBlauKafer on Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great story - and it must be nice to have all that original paperwork. You probably know as much about that car as the original owner since the paper trail is so good. How about a couple pictures?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

It's fun to have that kind of history with the paper trail,and actually alot of the parts and prices haven't increased that much over the years other then the price of the bug! Yiks!(sp) :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Thanks John and Scruffy. I was floored when the original owner handed me the documents. You're right about the parts prices but remember a bottled soft drink cost 10 cents back then versus a buck now. So the 13 dollars for a voltage regulator probably felt more expensive back then.

John, a question for you. I'd like to catch the forum up on the restoration progress since 2002. I figured maybe a new thread with emphasis on the past month (where the most bodywork has been happening).

Would you want that attached to this thread or begun in the technical section?

I'll also scare up my before pictures and some of the pan restoration. My newest pictures are of the bare shell sitting on a shop dolly being cured of it's rust cancer.

Happy 4th of July everyone!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good question...I think I'll create a new forum called "Restorations" - give me about 15 minutes to set one up.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It's all set - you can be the first to create a topic there - enjoy!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Here is a picture of my 1966 "Seeblau Kafer". I'm afraid the car is not as good as the pictures suggest - I'm just a good photographer hehehe.
Attachments
seeblaukafer.JPG
seeblaukafer.JPG (39.06 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Here's a pic of my Oval window 1956 Beetle next to my '66 Beetle. The Oval is in fact restored and 100% solid. It still has 36hp engine and split case transaxle, etc. I drive it a lot more than usual while waiting for the '66 to come home. (sniffle, sniffle :cry: )

PS - I realize it's not a '66 ... but it is a '56 ... it's name is 'Col. Klink'.
Attachments
back66andoval.JPG
back66andoval.JPG (36.98 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Close up of the front of my '66. Note the Air Force Base sticker on the driver side of the bumper. I'm debating on whether or not to keep that on the car. It's of a base in the States though ... not Frankfurt-Main.

Again, I stress, though she looks "minty" she's rotten underneath. I sure fooled lots of folks with it though. It drew FAR MORE attention at a British Car Show I once attended than any MG or Jag there.

Many times while re-fueling I've had people make U-turns in the middle of traffic asking me if it's for sale. Answer: "No."
Attachments
front66.JPG
front66.JPG (33.83 KiB) Viewed 10456 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

They are both beautiful! I love the color of your oval - that has to be a head turner - so what is the top speed of a 36 hp?
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Thanks John. Top speed is a good question. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 mph (maybe 80 if the engine is really fresh). I've owned the Oval since 1992 and just putt-putt around town ... highways are getting too dangerous for it.

Klink's color is a VW Transporter color called Sierra. This April he turned 51 years old. His birth certificate says he was a true export model and was originally Polar Silver (which he will be again one day). The factory was still doing the birth certificates back in '92.